FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating random particles in a seamless loop

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Hoglund
Creating random particles in a seamless loop
on Aug 31, 2009 at 8:55:15 pm

Does anyone how I could do a seamless loop from several randomly chosen particles. I have a number of icons "raining" down with various speeds and Y-rotation. How can I make a 10sec loop with out doing a video slice/blend type workaround? Is this something that would work better with scripting?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: Creating random particles in a seamless loop
on Sep 1, 2009 at 3:54:22 pm

If I understand what you want, you can achieve this with Particular and some creative layer manipulation.

First, figure out how long it takes for your particles to travel from the top of the screen to the bottom. Lets say it is 2 seconds. Make your comp 2 seconds longer than you want your final comp to be, so in your case, it will be 12 seconds. Then, create your particular layer. Keyframe the emitter to stop emitting particles at 10 seconds. Now, the last 2 seconds, the particles should all fall from top to bottom, with no more being created. Next, duplicate this layer and move the beginning of the layer to 10 seconds. This will start the particles at the top again and fill in the void left by keyframing. Finally, move your work area bar start to 2 seconds, so that your 10 second work area starts at 2 seconds and ends on 10 seconds. Render, and you now have a seamless looping particle system, with no blending.

Best,

Mike Park

Return to posts index

Shawn Hoglund
on Sep 2, 2009 at 1:18:04 am

Thanks Mike, that is a great solution. Do you have any suggestions on how the particles should start? If i use the default timing for the start of the emitter will I have a loop that looks consistent? Or do you have settings that work best for this situation? One last question, on your reply you said to end the work area at 10 sec. Do you mean 12 so the work area equals 10sec?

Thanks again for all your help- this is one solution I wish I had learned a year ago!

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Sep 2, 2009 at 12:58:06 pm

The answer is yes, you will have a consistent look. However, you need to turn on randomness for the spin. The other option is to just move your emitter up a little so that the particles have time to start spinning before they hit the screen.

The second answer is yes, I did mean a 10 second loop, ending at 12 seconds. That was a slip on my part - sorry. Also, make sure you are not doubling one frame at the start of the loop. This looks likes the animation stutters everytime it cycles back around. If that happens, just adjust your end loop one frame backward.

Best,

Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]