FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gas Ring

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Roughan
Gas Ring
on Aug 13, 2009 at 3:19:29 pm

Im trying to make a gas ring like on a stove top in Particular. I want to make a ring of light emitters, then use the gas flame preset and tweak it a bit. But as soon as I make the emitter type a light, the blue flame in the preset turns to white smoke. After 2 hours of stuffing around with it, Im stumped. Has anyone an idea how I can easily make this?
thanks in advance
simon

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Gas Ring
on Aug 13, 2009 at 4:34:44 pm

hi simon,

you can over come the color issues by setting the light color to the particle color -- one of the 'features' of using a light is the light will also control particle color, not so much a feature in this case and there's no other way to override it (that i know of).

one thing i don't know how to override is the change in scale/size of the emitter once a light is chosen... you'd think picking a point light source would make the emitter a single point, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

an easy way to get what you are looking for is to create a layer that is 1x1px, make it 3d and choose that layer as the emitter (set emitter to layer, then choose that 1x1 layer as the emitter), then set layer rgb usage to 'none'.

that should give you what you are after.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Aug 13, 2009 at 5:52:46 pm

upon further investigation, you should set the solid's scale to 0,0,0. that way the z depth of the solid will be 0 also -- setting the size of the solid to 1x1, inexplicably leaves the depth of the layer at about 100 for some reason. using scale to make the layer a 'point' with no hight, width or depth seems to do the trick.

note: i am using particular 1.5, 2.0 may have fixed this.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Aug 13, 2009 at 6:41:18 pm

I think you wanted to use lights as emitters so that you could control all of the particles with only one layer of particular, correct? If that is the case, you can do other things like use a black and white image as a source comp to achieve the same result. Since I threw together a comp to try this out, I figured I might as well let you have it. If you have any questions, let me know.

207_burnerfolder.zip

Mike Park

Return to posts index

Simon Roughan
on Aug 14, 2009 at 1:55:04 pm

Hey guys, thanks for your quick and informative replies. And to actually make a project for me; well thats going above and beyond, thanks mate. I actually gave up on particular and made it in cinema 4d, using spots as the gas flames, which looked much more realistic. But it still didnt look real enough (the movement in the flame as it is lit etc), so I just bought some beutiful HD stock footage instead. Problem solved. Sometimes the simplest ways are the best.
Thanks again anyway
Simon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]