FORUMS: list search recent posts

3d stroke - leading edge question!

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam taylor
3d stroke - leading edge question!
on Aug 10, 2009 at 11:40:14 pm

Is there a way to attach a null to the leading edge of an animated 3dstroke?

I want to have the centrepoint of Shine attached to the front of my animated stroke, but i would rather not do this frame by frame, as i may need to make changes to speed, etc.

Is it possible?

thanks
Adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: 3d stroke - leading edge question!
on Aug 11, 2009 at 2:00:20 pm

The answer is yes - kind of -

Here is the deal - if your stroke is animated linerally, that is, moves at a constant rate, this is no problem. If you have easy ease curves, this gets a little more messy.

For linear motion:

Create your 3d stroke path on a layer. Twirl down the mask properties and select mask path and hit control c or copy.
Next, create a new null object and select its position - you can make it 3d if your spline moves in 3 dimensions, and hit control v to paste. This creates a motion path for the null object along your spline. I automatically roves which means you can extend the end points and the keyframes in the middle will automatically adjust until the null maintains the same speed along the path. Now simply animate your stroke start or end position from 0 to 100 or vice verca and adjust your null position keyframes to match. Now apply shine and pickwip the shine position to the null position. This is much easier if the stroke only moves in the xy direction. It is possible to translate the shine position from 3d to 2d, but I wont confuse you unless you need that.

It is pretty straightforward. If you get stuck, you know where to find me.

Best of luck

Mike Park

Return to posts index

Mike Park
on Aug 11, 2009 at 2:02:06 pm

Addendum

If you want to easy ease the keyframes, just make sure you easy ease both the stroke start and end frames as well as the 2 keyframes at each end of the null position start and stop. Dont mess with the roving keyframes and everything will line up properly.

Mike

Return to posts index

adam taylor
on Aug 12, 2009 at 10:50:21 pm

thanks for the tips Mike. looking forward to trying them out.

adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]