FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D Stroke a 3D plane

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Latman
3D Stroke a 3D plane
on Aug 3, 2009 at 7:03:28 pm

This is driving me nuts. I want to have a stroke around an object in 2D space. Can I apply 3D stroke so that I can then turn that 2D object into a 3D object. All I want 3D stroke to do is continue to outline the 2D plan object as it is now a 3D object. Too confusing?
I just want to control the 3D rotation and postion of the outline by the controls of the layer's 3D rotation and position, not 3D stroke's controls. Keep my object outlined and allow me to control how fast the line travels but I'll use AE's controls of the layer to make the full object move.
Is this not possible?

Thanks for any help or insight.

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: 3D Stroke a 3D plane
on Aug 3, 2009 at 7:18:22 pm

Yes and No.

You can do what you are asking, but it is not as simple as applying 3d stroke to your image and then manipulating the image in 3d space.

3d Stroke only works in 3d mode on 2d layers. If you change the layer to 3d, stroke will stay, but be a 2d outline like you drew a line on the layer.

To do what you want, you need to have the layer you want to outline as a 3d layer. Next, outline the part of the picture you want stroked. Duplicate the layer. Turn the layer into a 2d layer. Apply 3d stroke to the new layer. Under the 3d stroke settings "camera" make sure the use comp camera option is checked. Create a new camera and new 3d null object. Parent the camera to the null. Picwip the 3d stroke position to the the null position. Now simply move and animate the null and everything should line up just fine.

Best,

Mike

Return to posts index

Ken Latman
on Aug 3, 2009 at 7:54:03 pm

What if I already have all my movements of my 3D object pre-planned and keyframed in? It looks like everything is offset somehow? Do I have to re-keyframe everything using the null now?

Return to posts index

Ken Latman
on Aug 3, 2009 at 9:00:09 pm

I figured out a work around. I just pickwipped all the 3D stroke properties to the already made 3D object I made. I needed to add some pixels to the x and y position but everything seems ok.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]