FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trapcode Particular & parenting emitter, REDOUX

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francisco Cueto
Trapcode Particular & parenting emitter, REDOUX
on Feb 23, 2009 at 4:10:39 pm

first time poster, long time lurker...

I am trying to animate an emitter going up that is about 1/3 from the left margin. I want this emitter to spin as it goes up, to kinda draw like a xmas tree.

In 3D packages I would animate a NULL going up, then place another null off to the side (the distance between them defines my radius) as the first null goes up I also rotate it about the Y axis and VOILA, the null that's sitting to the side starts climbing up in a spiral fashion. Then all I need is to animate the second null on its local X axis towards the first null, basically creating a spiral with a decreasing radius kind of thing that looks like a X-mass tree (at least its trajectory)

I tried this setup with particular but no luck. I followed all the tutorials I could and read the very recent thread about this, and I am stumped. It seems that since I am using Parenting, the animation info is not passed along via the expression pick-whip method.

any clues how to go about this? I really dont want to open up the 3d app today :-(

Return to posts index

Mark Crenshaw
Re: Trapcode Particular & parenting emitter, REDOUX
on Feb 25, 2009 at 4:15:04 pm

If I understand the issue correctly, you can easily do this without using the pick whip. Here's a quick example I did. I added a Lux layer so you can follow the emitter more easily.

http://www.crenshawweb.com/emitter-rotate.wmv

Create a new solid and apply Particular.

Create a null object and make it 3D.

Create a new point light and name it "Emitter" without the quotes. This will be your second "null" as in a 3D app.

Set the Emitter type in Particular to Light.

Parent your light to the null.

Animate the null and the light as you would in a 3D app.

The "Light" emitter type may have some limitations in terms of how you can make it look and react but it solves the motion issue.

Peace,
Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]