FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Lexus particular video by Barbecue Mediendesign - HOW!!??

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Army
The Lexus particular video by Barbecue Mediendesign - HOW!!??
on Jun 5, 2008 at 8:05:55 pm

Anyone seen this video?

http://www.barbecue-design.de/index.php?article_id=62

Any ideas on where to begin with following them around in this kind of detail and length? Also, anyone know what these environments are made from - still pictures, 3D software, etc? Any good tutorials on something similar? Just got Trapcode and I'm grasping for a way to begin making cool things besides text to smoke, which wasn't as intuitive as I'd thought!

ALSO, the sky in there looks like it's build from long particals and Shine or something. Anyone able to achieve this effect? I'd love to be able to build environments with Trapcode to fly around in, if only as simple as a cool glowing sky or ground. Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Steve Blacker
Re: The Lexus particular video by Barbecue Mediendesign - HOW!!??
on Jun 10, 2008 at 12:55:37 am

I asked the same question recently, here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/227/10410

If you read the accompanying text in the Trapcode gallery, it mentions that they created the whole thing (landscape) using AE. Some of the sky effects were done with Shine.

I'm interested in how they got the particles to intertwine and loop around eachother so naturally. I'm working on it! ;-)

Steve

EDIT:

A couple of other pointers occurred to me... The part where the particles go behind the translucent ice-like material and light it up from behind with a sort of bump-mapped effect - there is a tutorial on videocopilot.net on how to get this bump mapped effect.

I am currently using Lux point lights with particle trails, because Lux will light other layers as the point lights pass by, and you can add specular and diffuse levels to get the effect you want.

Anyway - hope that gives you some ideas. The most impressive aspect to me is the 3D camera control to follow the particles around. That's challenging for me.

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Ruediger Chmielus
on Jun 12, 2008 at 8:08:09 am

The camera is not always following the particles.
Instead- the planes of the floor/Ice are moving.
That makes it much easier to animate.
Cheers,

Return to posts index

Nick Army
on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:19:41 pm

Cool ideas, thanks for some inspiration! I'm really glad someone else has seen and been interested in this video. I'm still trying to crack it.

Return to posts index

Ruediger Chmielus
on Jun 19, 2008 at 7:41:52 am

Fell free to ask any question about this project.
We are willingly sharing the methods of creating this clip.
Cheers,

Return to posts index

Steve Blacker
on Jun 19, 2008 at 11:00:58 am

Oh, Ruediger - you actually worked on this clip? I didn't realise. Beautiful clip.

Personally I'm mostly interested in how you got the particles erratic movements, and how you created the look of the particles themselves. I understand how to create the 3D streams behind the particles, etc., but you seem to have some sort of animation on the particles themselves, like they are made of rotating layers or something.

Any insight much appreciated, thank you!

Return to posts index

Ruediger Chmielus
on Jun 19, 2008 at 7:30:23 pm

Hello Steve,
Thank you very much for the compliments.
I am very impressed how you figured the things out. Yes there is some animation under the hood.
Just think about a pulsating "bubble" as an particle -there you go.
Actually there are three Emitters envolved: One for the "Bubble", one for the long trail and one for some subtile sparks.
The movement of the Particles is based on a null on which both are counterwise connected.
Turning and animating the null will result in the Helixform.
The erratic movement is a script based on random position for each particle individually.
I hope this will help you.

Greetings from Frankfurt,

Return to posts index

Steve Blacker
on Jun 19, 2008 at 11:14:47 pm

Aah - very clever. Thanks for that, I will have to try some of these ideas.

Cheers!

Steve

Return to posts index

Nick Army
on Jun 27, 2008 at 1:10:54 pm

First of all, my compliments to you and the whole team who created this incredible video! I'm so excited that it was created entirely in After Effects! The main question I have is how you created the environments such as the sky and ground between which the particles are flying (or the environment moves and they just appear to be the movers), and the ground on which the Lexus cars are driving. Those are very nice looking and are something I've not been able to create. Thanks for any insight you can offer, and again, amazing work!

Return to posts index

Ruediger Chmielus
on Jul 2, 2008 at 1:35:54 pm

Hello Nick,
thank you very much for the compliments.
all the scenes had a different setups and very individual solutions.
The Sky was sometimes a 360 Panorama that was used with Paul Tuersley wonderful Script "Make Panorama".
Sometimes it was a Multilayer of cloud-structures.
The Icicles where basically multiple Photos layered in Z-space.
Various blending modes and a lot of displacement where used on this one.
The floor from the cars is made with fractal noise which is basically used on almost every shot.
Cheers,

Return to posts index

Dumeyni Arnaud
on Jul 4, 2008 at 8:28:49 am

Hello !
Thank you for telling us your knowledge about the spot.
May I ask about something too ?

How long was the process for creating this look ?
Before starting the production did you already defined the method or did you work on a idea and improved it ?

Thanks for you answer.

Return to posts index

Ruediger Chmielus
on Jul 5, 2008 at 11:15:12 am

We had about two month to create the movie.
We spent about two weeks to develop the storyline, the look and the general tonality of the film.
The look of the particle trails was an important process in this time.
Many scenes in the moodboard where changed drastically during the production as they evolved step by step.
Other scenes wich seemed essential where abandoned.
So at the end it was something of both -a defined method wich improved during the production.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]