FORUMS: list search recent posts

flying documents

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Cates
flying documents
on Apr 7, 2008 at 4:05:59 pm

I'm trying to create documents (sheets of paper) that come flying from behind my talent (speaking about accounting principals) to the foreground and off camera.

I'm applying a layer as my particle but want them to lay flat and follow along the path as if laying down and swooping along the direction of the path.

Any help would be appreciated.

Randy Cates

Return to posts index

mike park
Re: flying documents
on Apr 7, 2008 at 4:53:53 pm

There are a couple of things you can do. First, precompose your paper layer and rotate it 90 degrees to the camera. Next, you can animate a light through your scene to create a motion path. Name the light "Motion Path 1" and go down to the physics rollout of particular to change the motion path from none to 1. If you want your papers to flutter a little, turn up and play with the turbulance settings and affect the particle postion. You can also play with the wind settings. If you want different pages, you can create a seperate comp with a different page on every frame and use the time sampling component of particular. See the tutorials on trapcode's website on how to do this - it would be to long to explain it here.

Best of luck

Return to posts index

Randy Cates
on Apr 7, 2008 at 4:57:04 pm

Thanks Mike!

Randy

Randy Cates
Broadcast Designer/Animator

Return to posts index

mike park
on Apr 7, 2008 at 5:45:27 pm

You are welcome. I was thinking, and then confirmed, that you are going to have a problem if you want the paper sheets horizontal. Particular particles look like they always face the camera. Rotating the precomp will not solve this problem. I did not think about this when I replied earlier. If you want to stay in afx, you will either have to animate each individual sheet, or make a series of long precomps with paper particles moving up them and then positioned in 3d space - this may end up looking flat, or use a 3d program like max - this is probably your best option, and bring the footage into afx. Sorry about the earlier incorrect statement.

Best of luck

Return to posts index

Randy Cates
on Apr 7, 2008 at 5:56:36 pm

Yeh I've been going a little crazy trying to make this work. Better switch to 3D and texture map spread sheets onto rectangular planes and apply them to a particle emitter there. Not getting what I want here.

In case I elect to keep these docs facing the camera, I was still unable to get the animated light emitter (Motion Path 1) to generate the particles, they kept coming from the layer the particular was assigned to.

My set up:
I've got an animating light named Motion Path 1

A 100 x 60 precomp with a 90x50 solid

A solid with particular effect applied
- using the layer option and my small rectangular precomp assigned as the layer and the off to 1 in the physics spin down.

I get rectangular particles coming from the layer with particular applied. I'm not getting them from the animating light. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you
Randy

Randy Cates

Return to posts index

mike park
on Apr 7, 2008 at 6:27:19 pm

A couple of possible problems. First, the light is nothing more than a null object to create a motion path. Next, you need to set your emiter position (x,y and z) to the same position as the initial position of the light. Then, they will track the path of the light. You also need to adjust the particle life so that the particles die just before the motion path ends. See if any of these fix your problem.

I agree that this is one instance when going into a 3d program would be your fastest solution. The only problem is to change anything requires rerendering the animation.

If you have any more problems, let me know

Best of luck

Return to posts index

Randy Cates
on Apr 7, 2008 at 6:29:47 pm

Thanks Mike,

I'll check and get back to you on this. Working on a 3D solution presently.

Randy

Randy Cates

Return to posts index

Bill Kelly
on Jul 6, 2008 at 9:58:33 pm

Regarding particles always orienting toward the camera, Harry J Frank has a tutorial with an expression that's a simple workaround for this issue.

http://www.graymachine.com/tutorials/particularorientation.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]