FORUMS: list search recent posts

masking particular??

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lightning ad
masking particular??
on May 31, 2007 at 12:08:41 pm

this is probably a dumb question....but my brain has gone on holiday today!

I want to create a cloud effect that is limited to being within a specific shape. I have created a mask of the required shape, but when i apply that to my Particular layer nothing seems to change. The cloud still covers a much larger area and i cannot think of the right way to do this.

Any suggestions?

adam

Editor/Mixer
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
Re: masking particular??
on May 31, 2007 at 2:25:03 pm

Mask are applied before effects. Pre-comp the Particular layer, then apply the mask to the pre-comp.

In this case, for "cloud-shaping", you may be better of emitting the actual cloud shape using a Layer Emitter in Particular (apply the mask to a solid, pre-comp it, switch to 3D, and use as Layer Emitter). For more info on Layer Emitters, se the built-in docs in Particular.

Peder Norrby / Trapcode

Return to posts index

lightning ad
on May 31, 2007 at 10:34:33 pm

ahh, i see what you are getting at. Thanks Peder.

I don't mean shaping the clouds really, what i am trying to get is the cloud/smoke in a box effect, so i don't think the layer emitter would be right. But i can see how masking a precomped layer might get the effect.

I'm still getting my head around how things work in AE - I much prefer the node system in Shake. I think my ideal programme would have AE's power with Shakes interface.

adam

Editor/Mixer
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
on Jun 1, 2007 at 8:24:21 am

Yep, nodes seem to be a common request for AE. I guess, in a way, Pre-Compose is the same as adding a new node.

One problem is such a dream app would be how to represent the timeline? I mean, nodes are a great interface for calculation order structure, but how to get the time component in there in a neat visual way?

For this specific issue that you ask about, there are many ways to do it in AE. Pre-Comp and mask is one. Another would be to create a solid and use that as a "Track Matte" for the Particular layer.

Peder Norrby / Trapcode

Return to posts index

lightning ad
on Jun 1, 2007 at 12:02:17 pm

what most people forget is that there is a timeline in Shake!!

I have used it and whilst its not perfect, it is adequate for using multiple clips all starting at different times. As with everything, you just need to learn the ideosyncracies of the package.

I have just tried your suggestions Peder, and as always, you are bang on the mark. The effect looks superb (i'm always using liberla amounts of Shine on this effect as well.)

regards
Adam

Editor/Mixer
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
on Jun 1, 2007 at 1:28:31 pm

Yeah, I have never actually used Shake, I was merely trying to point out that it is hard to combine time and nodes visually in a coherent way. Maybe it's time I have a look at Shake..

Peder Norrby / Trapcode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]