FORUMS: list search recent posts

sphere emitter - fill, spaced evenly?

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ScottPM
sphere emitter - fill, spaced evenly?
on May 24, 2007 at 11:47:08 pm

hey guys,
if i have a sphere emitter set to 10000 x 10000 x 10000 and filled with particles that i want to fly through, is there a way to get them filling the 10k sphere semi-evenly? at the moment there seem to be more clumped in the centre with falloff towards the extremities, almost as if the birth point was the centre and i'd simply exploded them out with velocity.
i would have imagined that the particles would spawn randomly at any points contained by the sphere, but the distribution i get doesn't look this this happens.
this means my camera can't pass anywhere near the middle because the density of particles is too great, and it can't go too close to the edge because there are too few = limited camera moves, eg, i cant pan from one side of the "galaxy" to the other, cos when i cross the centre i'm swamped with particles.

thanks,
scott.

Return to posts index

gcole_5
Re: sphere emitter - fill, spaced evenly?
on May 25, 2007 at 1:22:20 am

Try using the 'Physics > Air > Spherical Field' setting with a high feather radius to push the central particles out. Also, you may need to create several duplicates of the particular layer with different settings to get the look you are after. Create the initial spherical emitter and push the particles out using the method above (set velocity to 0 and make sure they have a Life setting long enough that they won't disappear in the middle of your sequence). Then, duplicate the layer and change the 'Random Seed' under options to change the starting point of the individual particles. Rotate this copy or scale down the emitter or even shrink the Spherical Field (any combination will work) to get an 'inner layer' of particles. Repeat this as necessary, making each duplicate smaller as it moves toward the center...

Hope this helps. I am sure there are several other ways to get the look you are after. Good luck!

Return to posts index

Quejet
on May 25, 2007 at 1:32:20 am

I understand exactly what your talking about, the sphere emitter is doing exactly what its supposed to be doing, the problem is its not what you want. This will require a WORKAROUND! *confetti*

As i see it. you have two approaches in my opinion
METHOD 1
Use an actual explosion of particles to lay out where you want them, then push the layer back in the timeline.
To make a galaxy i would use the disk distribution. turn the random velocity off, and crank the velocity up (like 3000), and crank the air friction up too(60's?). finally, Burst the particles, that is to say, start the emitter off at 10000 or even higher, then bring it back to 0 over maybe 6 frames this will create a round disk of particles once formed. We're just getting started. Next we animate the velocity down to 0, over the same 6 frames we animated the emission. This will create 6 evenly shaped disks. Finally remember the random velocity? slide that till the particles are distributed how you like.
Result:

Wow thats not a bad distribution, even better we get this REALLY cool effect of the galaxy forming, play with that. This could be very useful for far off shots of the galaxy, this isn't a final image by any means though, might be better to composite an actual image of a galaxy then zoom in really fast to get into particles. And for that we move on to

METHOD 2
using a box emitter at huge scales.
This will definitely distribute the particles evenly. It will even look very cool if we do it right. I maxed the emitter out too. But i needed more spread. Heres how i got around that: I set the air resistance to about 4 and maxed the velocity out of the particles from the emitter. finally to get them to slow down quicker i speed the physics time scale. The particles when emitted go FLYING. infact set right, these particles end up about 15000 units from their starting point, and they are fairly distrubted. You will have to have a lighter touch with the particle emitter then from before because with the physics timescale cranked up so high, particles emit very fast. Your also going to need to set a very long life span so that stars dont die on you so quick (Physics time scale!) In the end it too 17 frames to assemble the starfield.
Result:

now even if this ISN'T what your looking for... try it anyway. this is a really cool effect, the field is truly massive.

If this isn't what your looking for, maybe if i had some more project details i could come up with some better techniques for you. Perhaps using a second particle system and the aux system to create galaxy clusters? worth looking into maybe...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Return to posts index

Quejet
on May 25, 2007 at 1:35:17 am

ARG i didn't mean to post that, it was un proofed. Ok i want everyone to forgive my callous grammatical and formating mistakes in this post!
OH ALSO here are the results

RESULT 1:
Free Image Hosting at <a rel='nofollow' href='http://www.ImageShack.us'>http://www.ImageShack.us</a>

RESULT 2:
Free Image Hosting at <a rel='nofollow' href='http://www.ImageShack.us'>http://www.ImageShack.us</a>

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]