FORUMS: list search recent posts

3d Stroke: How do I make a line reveal a mask?

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
naeffects
3d Stroke: How do I make a line reveal a mask?
on May 24, 2007 at 12:12:07 pm

So I've seen this done a bunch with 3d stroke where there's multiple lines animating over the composition, but then a particular one floats onto the screen where for example the whole left side of it is a solid, and is it floats from one direction to the other the solid fills the screen, then another one might come from the other way, and do the reverse, as to reveal the video source under the solid. How is this done in 3D stroke, any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

QueJet
Re: 3d Stroke: How do I make a line reveal a mask?
on May 25, 2007 at 1:46:19 am

OOOh well that should be a fun effect! I assume that these strokes coming in are on separate layers...

It sounds like you want one of three things:

1. A track matt based on the luminosity or alpha will filter the video.
2. Using an effect to base one layers alpha channel on another layers channel (be it alpha or RGB or luminosity)
3. Manually rotoscoping the image in based on the position of the stroke. This will give you a less realistic feel, more manual control though.

These techniques may be modified though, i don't think i fully understood what you were trying to accomplish however. So if you have any questions about these techniques or feel you need to clarify your question for a better answer, don't hesitate.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Return to posts index

naeffects
on May 25, 2007 at 2:22:21 am

wow, I must say I'm honestly kind of confused on what you're saying. I thought I have the Total Training DVD set and taught myself everything last summer, so it's been well over a year since I've done anything with alpha channels and stuff like that, but I'm uploading a perfect example onto youtube of a video I took off the net a long time ago.

Return to posts index

naeffects
on May 25, 2007 at 2:33:34 am

THERE'S THE LINK

Return to posts index

QueJet
on May 25, 2007 at 3:15:31 am

oooo! Now i see exactly where you are going with this.

Heres the easy and hard answer: Rotoscope the video and hide it under the tentacles to avoid the edges.

now the hard and easy one?
those tentacles ARE NOT 3D! However they are tapered and as the current stroke doesn't seem capable of doing that, I'm going to assume its 3d stroke.As i see it, these tentacles are being drawn ON the video layer itself, two masks are animated and when they intersect they reveal the video. I'll give you some basic setup on how i would do this.

Free Image Hosting at <a rel='nofollow' href='http://www.ImageShack.us'>http://www.ImageShack.us</a>
here we have two masks, they are set to subtract and inverted so when they overlap they reveal the layer beneath. Using two instances of trapcode 3d stroke , setting the start and end points, applying tapering, and setting the blendmode to normal so the strokes will apply on top of the layer instead of removing it. Then i animated the two masks past each other. I got this effect:

Pretty snazzy!

Also the two color strokes were done simply using two separate strokes on masks that are closely animated, this is not easy.
Play around with this technique and soon you will find ways of doing every single transition they did!

If you have any more questions, as ever. Do not hesitate to ask!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Return to posts index

naeffects
on May 29, 2007 at 2:13:51 pm

Thank you so much for that excellent answer...I'm going to fool around with this for the next few days and hopefully I have som good luck with it. thanks again.

Return to posts index

front242
get the masks working
on Jun 26, 2007 at 9:06:22 pm

Hey There,

I'm trying to achieve the same effect with the masks intersecting, did you have any luck?

Return to posts index

naeffects
on May 29, 2007 at 2:59:46 pm

ok, sorry to whine so soon, but I am having trouble just animating the stokes so they float across the screen. I create a mask with the pen tool, but how do I make a path for them to follow across the screen? It seems that when I apply position key frames they apply to the entire solid, and not just the mask on the solid.

Return to posts index

front242
on Jun 25, 2007 at 10:58:18 pm

Hi Quejet,

I've also been trying to figure out for quite some time how t achieve this same effect. Was wondering if by any chance you could email me this AE project file you created here for the masks?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]