FORUMS: list search recent posts

3d particles??

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lightning ad
3d particles??
on May 20, 2007 at 3:03:05 pm

I am trying to create an effect using Particular that will look like particles of matter floating in a liquid. I want to use a black and white logo on a layer to create the shape of the particles, and i need to be able to move the camera through the liquid and particles.

I have got this far, but i am finding that when i use the camera orbit tool to move around, even though the camera shows the particles to be in a 3d environment, the particles always face directly at the camera, which kinda ruins the 3d effect !.

Is it possible to make the particles face a specific direction rather than always at the camera?

thanks
Adam

Editor/Mixer
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

lightning ad
Re: 3d particles??
on May 20, 2007 at 3:06:39 pm

...and just to clarify....i am not wanting the particles to have 3 dimensions, i am wanting them to remain as flat 2d images, but 2d images floating in a 3d space. So when they are viewed from an angle you see the particle at an angle and not square on all the time.

adam

Editor/Mixer
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

QueJet
on May 20, 2007 at 6:18:01 pm

Ive got a reply cooked up for you but i cant seem to post it... arg...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Return to posts index

QueJet
on May 21, 2007 at 1:16:11 am

To be honest I feel that if the particles always facing you is giving you the wrong look, you may be going about this the wrong way, just to back this up I have another link for you, this time someone used particular and some clever blurring and distortion to make very interesting liquid motion.

This can be viewed here (the liquid shot is among some other amazing work this guy did, i bow before his mastery of after effects)

as you can see in THIS piece that the liquid particles facing the camera really didn't amount to a hill of beans.
As to how he went about this, I can only guess. If you would like i might be able to try to reproduce the motion and get you some settings... Anyway I hope this helps!

Return to posts index

lightning ad
on May 21, 2007 at 7:47:17 am

thanks for the clip - really impressive. Unfortunately its not of much use regarding what i want to do!

Imagine you are floating in a viscous liquid. All around you are tiny particles suspended in the liquid. Look closely you see the particles are tiny copies of a specific shape. They are all positioned randomly in 3d - some face the camera, some are turned at angles from the camera, and they are also randomly rotated over three axis. In fact, think of confetti in a snowglobe!

Then you move from one location to another through the thick liquid, and as you move you pass amongst and through the tiny particles.....

thats the effect i am trying to achieve!! The motion is not the problem - its getting the particles to float randomly and at all angles that is causing the problems. If the particles were just blobs then this would not matter, but i want the particles to show our company logo.

regards
adam

Editor/Mixer
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

QueJet
on May 21, 2007 at 9:41:02 am

... i think i know how to do this!

Your not screwed! and i understand what you want
particular particles arnt 3d
but custom particles are really good at faking it!

ive made some 3d gif's as a pet project to reproduce what your going for.
here is my company logo: a rotating Q! (I like to stick to a theme .) )

now i've animated this Q by making this layer 3d a wiggle expression to the X Y and Z rotation properties, i made sure to select a nice and SLOW frequency. Furthermore i used some clever math quick math inorder to insure that the wiggle loops.

how you create an animate the 3d logo is of course up to you

so now i create the particle field with the appropriate settings, and use the Q spinning logo I've made as a custom particle that loops from a random position. (you can find this in the settings for custom particle)

this was the result (low quality sorry)

now this is very draft, but as you can see the particles definitely have a 3d quality about them. With a longer custom particle, some depth of field, some distance fall off and water background, along with a little displacement warp for water, you could have something very convincing. GOOD LUCK!

Return to posts index

lightning ad
on May 21, 2007 at 10:32:50 am

thanks QueJet - i see where you are going with this...it helps a lot. I shall see if i can get the look i need using your method.

many thanks

Adam

Editor/Mixer
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]