XSI import/scaling issues 3

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan
XSI import/scaling issues 3
on Jan 17, 2007 at 7:31:08 pm

OK:

Two questions in this post:

Instead of "dummy" I changed the layer name to correspond with the one in my scene, i.e. light or camera. I applied this expression to both the postion of the light and the camera and created a new layer with a slider on it. However I come back with errors before I even get that far -
"after effects warning: Function thisComp.layer
().effect is undefined

scale_factor=thisComp.layer("Camera").effect("Slider")("Slider");

X=position[0]*scale_factor;
Y=position[1]*scale_factor;
Z=position[2]*scale_factor;

[X,Y,Z]

Am I doing something wrong?

ALSO I believe the scene units were set to FEET in the XSI scene I got my camera and light position data from (basically one unit = one foot [or about what the default is in XSI, apparently]). When I use the basic version of your expression (not tied to a slider [see below]), it works; you can see that lights are locked to the camera properly, however the scale goes way off in a really wacky way (the lights don't even track with their corresponding objects in the rendered backplate anymore, and are actually out beyound the raster). If the original expresions is based off a meters as units to pixel exchange as you earlier mentioned, should it actually be changed to work with a feet as units to pixel exchange (maybe 1000 becomes 333 or something)?

X=position[0]*1000;
Y=position[1]*1000;
Z=position[2]*1000;

[X,Y,Z]

Sorry to bug. Thanks a lot.

-bryan

Return to posts index

Mylenium
Re: XSI import/scaling issues 3
on Jan 18, 2007 at 6:46:20 am

[Bryan] "Instead of "dummy" I changed the layer name to correspond with the one in my scene, i.e. light or camera. I applied this expression to both the postion of the light and the camera and created a new layer with a slider on it. However I come back with errors before I even get that far -
"after effects warning: Function thisComp.layer
().effect is undefined

scale_factor=thisComp.layer("Camera").effect("Slider")("Slider");

X=position[0]*scale_factor;
Y=position[1]*scale_factor;
Z=position[2]*scale_factor;

[X,Y,Z]

Am I doing something wrong?"

Effects must be applied to footage items (solids, Nulls, footage, proxies, pre-comps) or lights or otherwise AE won't see them. A camera does not work. You do not need to apply an effect to all of your items, just one in your scene. Named references are always absolute acrooss the entire comp. Simply create a Null/ dummy layer and apply an Expression slider, then apply the position expression to your imported items and point the reference to your dummy and the slider. Rename the slider to your liking.

[Bryan] "If the original expresions is based off a meters as units to pixel exchange as you earlier mentioned, should it actually be changed to work with a feet as units to pixel exchange (maybe 1000 becomes 333 or something)?"

No, not really. AE does not care for this kind of stuff. A pixel is a pixel, regardless whether it was based on meters, inches, microns or astronomical units. If there are any problems, they are most likely on the XSI side of things. The only thing of importance in aE is to work in a square pixel comp.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]