FORUMS: list search recent posts

more help on animating curved stroke on map

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
karenin
more help on animating curved stroke on map
on Jan 15, 2007 at 3:15:07 pm

i know this isn't the first time this has been asked, but i'm looking to create the effect of a line being animated from point point on a map. i want the line to "bounce" from each point to the next (and the points aren't in a straight line). i found mylenium's instructions for using a curved mask to create the line with particular, and that works well for the first segment of the line. i start running into trouble when i try to get the line to continue on to the next point. do i need to make the original mask a series of curved lines, or is there a really simple solution i'm overlooking? also, is there a way to make the stroke flat (so that you see an edge when you see it from the side as opposed to loking the same regardless of viewing angle)? it seems like this is much more appropriate for a 3d app, but i've got to find a way to make it work in AE. any and all suggestions are very much appreciated. thanks.

Return to posts index

Mylenium
Re: more help on animating curved stroke on map
on Jan 15, 2007 at 5:52:22 pm

[karenin] "also, is there a way to make the stroke flat (so that you see an edge when you see it from the side as opposed to loking the same regardless of viewing angle)?"

No, Particular's particles are sprites always oriented to the camera.

[karenin] "i found mylenium's instructions for using a curved mask to create the line with particular, and that works well for the first segment of the line. i start running into trouble when i try to get the line to continue on to the next point. do i need to make the original mask a series of curved lines, or is there a really simple solution i'm overlooking?"

Use the Path mode in Particular 1.5. Simply animate a light to bounce from location to location, then assign that light as a reference. Not exactly as easy as drawing masks, but should get you what you need.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

karenin
on Jan 15, 2007 at 6:08:32 pm

Thanks for the reply, i'll give it a shot. one followup question though. any advice on creating a shadow to strengthen the illusion of the path being 3d?

Return to posts index

Mylenium
on Jan 15, 2007 at 8:23:03 pm

No, not really. Your best bet in this case is to create similarly curved paths in 2D on your layer and draw them with a stroke effect followed by some blur. Depending on the situation, the old trick of simply using a duplicate of your particular layer tilted in 3D and tinted black might work. Same for corner pinning. There's no real good way in AE unfortunately, but if you make your fake shadow rather soft, it shouldn't be too bad.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

karenin
on Jan 16, 2007 at 7:57:02 pm

would i be better off creating my animated lines in a true 3d program (blender is the only realistic option at this point) as opposed to using particular or am i just asking for more trouble?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]