FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D stroke parenting / precompose for a 3D stroke robot

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
strapt
3D stroke parenting / precompose for a 3D stroke robot
on Nov 25, 2006 at 4:38:31 pm

Hi, I've built a 3-dimensional robot in AE using 3d stroke - there's a front, sides, back, etc. Everything is fine at this stage, I can spin my camera round it etc and it looks great, but when I get into animating the robot in the 3d space I cant get the componenets of the robot to act as one i.e if the layers were parented or precomposed. Im guessing that I cant precomose because the 3d stroke elements arent actually 3d layers so wont act that way in the precomp, but i was hoping i could parent in some way to get around this, but when i do this the problem seems to be that each layer still acts with its anchor point centered to itself and i cant seems to get round this. Ive put loads of work into it already and looks so good that i really dont want to give up on it! I hope someones found a way of getting round this. I couldnt bear having to akeyframe each of the layers seperatly everytime i want any of it to move! Let me know if anyones got any ideas! Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mylenium
Re: 3D stroke parenting / precompose for a 3D stroke robot
on Nov 25, 2006 at 7:50:12 pm

No, not really. problem is you don't have a way of changing the transformation centers interactively - they are entirely derived from the mask shapes in relation to the layer dimensions. So your best bet is to move your masks around and compensate with the anchorpoint placement. I doubt that this will solve your dilemma, though. No matter how much you tweak, your animation will go kaboom at some point. It may work for a certain duration, but after a time your rotations will look odd and the rendering order of the 3DStrokes will, too. If at all, you should make working woith normal 3D layers and flat 2D strokes part of your plan. It's not that difficult building boxes and cylinders this way and by using the continuously rastericze/ collapse transformations option, you can make the mact like "solid" objects when placed inside a sub-comp.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]