FORUMS: list search recent posts

3d stroke as transition

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kierra
3d stroke as transition
on Nov 15, 2006 at 11:46:16 pm

I want to use a glowy 3d stroke to transition between two shots. The best reference I can give for this is some Showtime promos, specifically for the show Weeds. I can picture the transition but just can't seem to get it right, due to my brain being fried after having recently given birth to a 10 pound baby.
Does anyone know where there might be a tutorial for something like this or even an example that I could watch frame by frame and knock off.
Thanks much.
Kierra

Return to posts index

Micah Sharp
Re: 3d stroke as transition
on Nov 16, 2006 at 1:45:42 am

Hi Kierra, congrats on the new addition. That's a big child.

Mylenium is the real expert so maybe he knows off the top of his head, but I'll need to fiddle around. I can imagine using a stroke that is timed with a dissolve or something maybe to do this. Let me give it a whirl and see if I can come up with anything. Can you maybe describe a bit more what you are looking for? I'm assuming some kind of squiggly line "dragging" a simple slide, or maybe getting bigger with opacity slowly showing the B movie? There are so many transitions, let me know which one you're into and I'll goof off with some ideas.

Thanks!

Micah Sharp
Red Giant Software

Return to posts index

Mylenium
Re: 3d stroke as transition
on Nov 16, 2006 at 6:40:42 am

Congrats on the little one. The transition itself shouldn't be too difficult. The promos only use some very basic techniques. First draw some nicely shaped masks and bend them in space using 3DStrokes control. Use a lens with a very short focus for your comp camera to get the frogeye/ radial look. Then animate the start/ end/ offset parameters to get some motion. Notice that some masks are used twice - one for the trail, another with a larger thickness and shortened doewn to maybe 3 or 5 percent of the overall length for the heads. Use tapering to get a smooth blend between heads and tails. To get an actula transition, you need to have some transition point. Either use effects such as MiniMax, Simple Choker or Obvious FX' Erodilation (a free plugin) to make your lines fatter until they fill the screen or add a white solid set to Add blendmode on top of your comp and animate its opacity to get some photoflash-like effect. Either of the two methods will also allow you to use your strokes as mattes on any other layer.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]