FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particular "over life" smoothness

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenneth Woodruff
Particular "over life" smoothness
on Nov 14, 2006 at 6:20:45 am

Hi there. I'm having some trouble getting smooth results from a hand-drawn "size over life" ramp. When I use a preset ramp, all is well (though not what I need in this case). When I draw the ramp that I need, and use smooth (even "extra strong smooth" via shift-click) it never seems to be smooth enough. I can see the sizes popping as the particles age. It's as if the resolution of the ramp data is higher than the drawn ramp resolution, and there's stepping in data that I can't get to.

I've found that I can get better results using a drawing tablet, but still not good enough.

In this case, simple shifting functionality would help, like being able to use a preset ramp to start, then offsetting the entire ramp towards birth (x), or along the y axis of the ramp to "scale" the effect globally. I think that would be a handy addition in general.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Mylenium
Re: Particular "over life" smoothness
on Nov 14, 2006 at 6:59:05 am

Yes, the life-graphs are a pain. You can paint them in small increments, though, perhaps that will get you closer to a solution. I found that when I have one end right, I can only paint the other end and only smooth things after that. Regardless of this, I yearn to have true Bezier curves with edit handles...

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

Kenneth Woodruff
on Nov 15, 2006 at 11:11:46 pm

Yikes. I wish I could copy and paste the data into something else to edit numerically (or with code).

Return to posts index

kenneth woodruff
on Nov 16, 2006 at 3:09:45 am

Aha! I found it. Definitely a calculation problem of some kind... The specific problem that I'm having is related to particle size and the use of a life ramp. At 50, the particles do not jitter, but the larger I make them the more they do (say 350). It is also doing this with the preset ramps, I just couldn't recognize the behavior. A flat ramp does not exhibit the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]