FORUMS: list search recent posts

using multiple light emitters

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt Wiley
using multiple light emitters
on Jun 2, 2006 at 10:57:03 pm

Is there a way to tell Particular on a given layer which of several given Lights to use for emission?

The only way I see this as being possible at moment is to use the new motion path feature. However, some aspects of the particle emission change with this approach.

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
Re: using multiple light emitters
on Jun 2, 2006 at 11:02:02 pm

In Options in the Light Emitter group there is a setting for Name starts with that can be edited from the default "Emitter". Only lights who's name starts with that will be used buy that instance of Trapcode Particular.

Peder Norrby / Trapcode

Return to posts index

Kurt Wiley
on Jun 2, 2006 at 11:36:21 pm

thanks. I understand. However, here is our situation. While motion path is very helpful, the problem is the particles always remain "anchored" to the start of the path so that when the user flies the light along the path, the particles "end" at a certain point along the path, depending on the longevity setting.

The behavour we hoped Path could also do would be to have the particles anchored at the LIGHT end and trail along behind the light.

This is what a standard light emitter does (as far as I can tell).

Unfortunately, in a given comp, with standard emitters, if we wanted to have 5 lights emitting several different kinds of particles (different colors, primarly) we can't tell different layers (or applications) of particular to recognize anything but all the lights at once. I.E., if we labeled lights Emitter 1, Emitter 2, etc.., Particular sees all the lights as one big light system.

This could be fixed by having an addition within the particular pulldown under the "light" selection telling particular which light to recognize, or to recognize ALL the lights in a given scene.

Hope I explained that ok... Our goal is to make HEAP BIG MAGIC!

Return to posts index

Mylenium
on Jun 3, 2006 at 8:12:43 am

I see your point, but have you considered using expressions (simple pickwhip ones) and standard point emitters? It would still allow you to derive all necessary parameters for motion, color etc. from the lights, but give you the independent behavior for each one.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
on Jun 3, 2006 at 11:18:21 am

[Kurt Wiley] "we can't tell different layers (or applications) of particular to recognize anything but all the lights at once"

What I'm saying is that you can do just that!

You can change the "Name starts with" parameter on the different layers with Particular.

For example in one instance, leave it at "Emitter"
On another instance, change it to "Exploder"

Then all lights with names staring in "Emitter" (Emitter 1, Emitter 2 etc) will be used by the first instance.
And all lights with names staring in "Exploder" (Exploder 1, Exploder 2 etc) will be used by the second instace.

Peder Norrby / Trapcode

Return to posts index

Kurt Wiley
on Jun 5, 2006 at 4:39:29 pm

Overworked Brain now switching on.... ;-) Thanks for clarification, Peder.

Mylenium had an interesting idea... can one pickwhip different lights to different particulars?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]