FORUMS: list search recent posts

error! Trapcode Soundkeys, AE and quicktime 7

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
phosvfx
error! Trapcode Soundkeys, AE and quicktime 7
on Apr 30, 2006 at 6:41:53 am

Whenever i attempt to perform any audio related task with AE 6, I get the "After Effects error: opening sound component (-2166)". I have read this is a conflict between AE and Quicktime7. Unfortunately if you're on a mac running 10.4, you can't uninstall 7 and go back to ver 6. Needless to say, this conflict renders Soundkeys useless as it crashes AE as soon as AE decides it no longer wants to handle audio. Does the new AE fix this? Any patches for Soundkeys? I've read the posts in the forum archives and have tried the suggestion of using uncompressed wav or aif but it still crashes. I tried to run Soundkeys in Combustion - it installs fine but the way C handles audio doesn't allow Soundkeys to source properly so it can't do anything...

Anyway, I really love this plugin and would love to be able to use it again!

thanks

jon

Return to posts index

phosvfx
Re: error! Trapcode Soundkeys, AE and quicktime 7
on May 1, 2006 at 6:33:45 pm

Well, I've found a workaround so I figured I'd post it in case anyone else is having the same issues. It's not perfect but it's working.

Open you AE comp and get your audio component error pop up. Hit ok and hit numeric "0" ( zero) to render to RAM a few frames. Sometimes you'll get the audio error again but usually after a long wait, AE will hammer through a few frames. Stop the render and play it back to hear if indeed your audio was picked up. You only need a few frames. If all is good, open SoundKeys, select your audio source layer, set it all up but set your keyframes per second fairly low. 3 per second seems to be working well for me. If you need more than this, this workaround isn't so hot but if you can live with a key every 10 frames at 30fps it should work. Go ahead and start the keyframe generation. During this, do not open any other windows - don't do anything really - and it should make it to the end of your duration. One in 5 times it'll just stop and freeze AE so you'll have to force-quit it but it usually goes through.

Once you have all your animation done, you'll need to render your video without audio and take it into combustion or shake, synch it with your audio file and re-output. It's a pain but there's no way AE will get through more than a few seconds of rendering with audio embedded with out that error killing everything.

If anyone's got a better idea, I'd love to hear it!

I'm on a 2g dual core g5 running the latest ver of osX ( 10.4...?) with 8g RAM. nVidia geForce 6600 LE and a Decklink SP.

thanks,

jon a

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]