FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particular particulars

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DVVmike
Particular particulars
on Mar 22, 2006 at 3:02:10 pm

I cannot figure out how to get Particular to "slow down" and not look like fireworks. I am trying to have a lot of particles, but not have them so "flashy". I do not understand how the life parameter works. It says that it is in seconds, but this just cannot be accurate. What does the number mean? I set it to "50" and I can tell you that particles do not last 50 seconds. So what is it?

I can use the physics time factor to slow motion down, but this does not slow down the flashing on and off of particles.

What are some general settings that I can use to start with a lot of particles, keep the motion slow and the duration long?

Return to posts index

Mylenium
Re: Particular particulars
on Mar 23, 2006 at 6:20:49 am

Not seeing the project it's difficult to give any pointers, but in general it's a good idea to lower the emittter's Velocity and play with Air Resistance. Contrary to your perceptions, Life is indeed in seconds, but you are forgetting that this covers the entire lifecycle of a given particle, including times when he may be too small, too transparent or whatever to really show up on screen. Life is not the running time of the particle system itself.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

DVVmike
on Mar 23, 2006 at 9:52:44 am

I've created an extract for anyone to look at. It is an AE7 project. It has shine in it as well and you can turn it off if this slows down rendering. If you render a small segment, you will see what I am talking about with the particles flashing like fireworks. I want them not to "flash" and move more smoothly. Any help with specific parameters would be appreciated.

The project link is here.

http://www.badongo.com/file/344610

Ignor the ads and just click on the download button.

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to look!

Return to posts index

gcole_5
on Mar 23, 2006 at 6:06:02 pm

I'm new to this plug, but it appears the layer emmitter settings are causing your flicker issue -- I played around with changing the emitter to a box and keyframed some of the parameters to get a more steady flow -- more like what I think you are looking for. The box emitter follows the text comp, achieving the same feel you were getting by having the particles generated from the layer. I added some turbulence, wind, and varied the size/velocity from motion to get some subtle movement in there.

Hope this helps... A lot of the keyframing could be replaced by expressions if you had the particular layer in the text comp and linked the position/scale/etc. parameters for the emitter to your text layer/settings.

Download the project file at:
http://www.espermedia.com/ae_share/G_part_test.aep

(I only used one of your text layers)

Hope this helps!
Greg

Return to posts index

Mylenium
on Mar 23, 2006 at 7:51:43 pm

There are several errors/ problems in your project:

1) Particular must be applied to a 2D layer.
2) Why do you use the precomposed text as an emitter? It causes a lot of the flickering. Use a simple 3D solid of matching size and make it your emitter.
3) Randomize the size using the normal controls, not RGB info from the layer. Another major reason for the flickering (because the type is to thin to provide enough area for particles being emitted; keep in mind that Particular figures in Alpha!).
4) Why bother with PTF? Use Air Resistance to slow down your particles. Balance Velocity from Motion and Air Resistance to make your particle cloud stay close to the emitter and control it in 3D space. Use Turbulence to maintain some swarming behavior.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

dvvmike
on Mar 23, 2006 at 8:36:15 pm

Thanks Greg and My for your help.

I used the text so that it could follow the motion of the text. The text moves in 3d, so hence the 3d layer. I was also getting messages about having to use a 3D layer?

From your suggestions, I think that I understand particular a tad better than I did before. Maybe he was not doing it "correctly", but Greg's project looks close to what I was going for.

thanks again for your help guys.

Return to posts index

DVVmike
on Mar 23, 2006 at 10:00:54 pm

I can move the text layer into the main comp. And then I can add an expression to generate the x,y & z positions from the position from my text layer. This works fine. But Particular will not let me use a text layer to obstruct the particles. It tells me to pre-comp the text layer so that I can obstruct it. So I am not sure how I can use the text position to generate the position of the particles and keep the particles from obstructing the text.

Return to posts index

DVVmike
Re: Particular particulars-expressions
on Mar 23, 2006 at 10:29:20 pm

I was wanting to add an expression to change the emitter rate to be based on the speed of the position change of the text, the faster the text layer is moving, the faster the particles come out. Can this be done with AE7? I cannot figure out how to use the picwip to go from the particle emitter to the speed because I can only see the speed graph when I cannot see the key-frames. So is there another way to use "speed" to animate the particles as an expression?

Return to posts index

gcole_5
Re: Particular particulars-expressions
on Mar 23, 2006 at 10:41:35 pm

This link may help...

http://www.aenhancers.com/viewtopic.php?t=20

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]