FORUMS: list search recent posts

lighting 3d stroke to make it look like flat 3d ribbon

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
minton
lighting 3d stroke to make it look like flat 3d ribbon
on Feb 27, 2006 at 11:53:50 pm

I have managed to duplicate a mask using 3d stroke and extrude into 3d space, makig the object lok like a ribbon.. but i cannot seem to light the damn thing.. i understand 3d stroke is not really 3d, but is there a way to make or fake the 3d look..? lookig for shadows underneath the object so that I can make it feel like a ribbon flowing in 3d space..

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

P.S

Have tried the shatter effect with a mask that has been pre-composed but it does not recognize the animation of the mask... so I am stuck with a 3d shape that i cannot animate!

cheers

Andy

Draw what you see, not what you think you see!

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
Re: lighting 3d stroke to make it look like flat 3d ribbon
on Feb 28, 2006 at 5:23:52 pm

How did you perform the extrusion?

Generally, to get a faux 3D shading look, the Bevel Alpha effect works ok in some cases, but probably won't work for a flat ribbon look. FE Glass (CC Glass?) also comes into mind, but I never tried that. To get shadows try the Radial Shadow or Drop Shadow effects.

Peder Norrby / Trapcode

Return to posts index

minton
on Feb 28, 2006 at 5:52:03 pm

Thanks for replying Peter!

I have made a mask, then repeated it 50 times in the 3d stroke dialogue box.. then restricted the space to which the stroke gets distributed using factor 1
and Z displace 0.5.. this gives the illusion of a flat ribbon - provided the stroke width is not too thick.. it looks really good.. So then I need to animate it over time by animating the mask shape! .. shading it is the challenge!

Return to posts index

minton
on Feb 28, 2006 at 11:40:18 pm

Would echospace be able to generate a similar thing to what i am after?

I tried to duplicate the profile mask with echospace but cannot seem to ba able to animate the mask over time as it does not update the rest of the duplicated generated by this plug in..I might be wrong, but this is what i have found out!

any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

Andy

Return to posts index

minton
on Mar 2, 2006 at 10:01:54 pm

Peter,

Maybe this is a good request for future versions of 3D stroke! It would be the most sought after request in my arsenal of plug ins.. no need to mess around with CG packages.. keep all your motion graphic requirements within AE.. The ability to effects 3D stroke with lights would be great!

cheers

Andrew Minton

Return to posts index

minton
on Mar 2, 2006 at 10:04:01 pm

Peter,

Any chance particular would be able to create such a thing? using a layer much like the ribbon echo effect I read about in the creative cow tutorials?

That effect does a lot of what I am after but I need my ribbon to curl at the end before unravelling out to a flat shape!

cheers

Andrew Minton

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
on Mar 4, 2006 at 10:27:32 am

If you want realistic ribbons with shading and self-shadowing I think neither Particular, 3D Stroke or Echospace can make that I'm afraid. A real 3D program is what I think is needed. However, the request is noted, thanks!

Peder Norrby / Trapcode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]