FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need 3D Stroke Advice

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Kompa
Need 3D Stroke Advice
on Dec 6, 2005 at 1:09:01 am

I'm trying to learn how to use 3D Stroke but I'm finding few tutorials that go beyond the basics. I'm trying to figure out how to make the 3D Stroke pass in front of and then behind various different objects/layers.

For example, I want to recreate a Helium atom...complete with 2 electrons orbiting around a nucleus. I've applied the 3D stroke to a mask on a solid layer and bent the mask path into a perfect circle. I then placed that layer below my nucleus layer. I've arranged each layer in 3D space so that it appears as though my nucleus is in the center of the electron orbit. But the 3D stroke always remains behind the nucleus layer even when the path appears to pass in front of the nucleus when viewed from the orbit camera.

If I place my 3D stroke layer above the nucleus layer, then the 3D stroke always remains on top and never passes behind.

What am I doing wrong? Are there any good in depth tutorials on the web? Thanks in advance!!!

Return to posts index

Mylenium
Re: Need 3D Stroke Advice
on Dec 6, 2005 at 9:07:38 am

Well, you're trying in vain. 3D stroke does not have such a thing as obscuration. All you could do is create mattes that fake the switching in the Z-plane halfway thru. You could also use Particular, which will do the kind of setup you describe easily ;).

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

John Kompa
on Dec 6, 2005 at 6:33:20 pm

Hmmm. That's interesting. The gallery at Trapcode.com shows many samples of artists creating content with 3D Stroke that does appear to pass in front of and then behind the same object. Did they fake that effect like you said? Check out this link to a sample from that Gallery. http://www.trapcode.com/gallery/nailgun_adidas.mov Can 3D Stroke do this or do I have to fake it or use Particular? If Particular is the right plug-in to use, can you point me to a good online tutorial? Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
on Dec 6, 2005 at 7:02:48 pm

Check out the bend.mov example - it shows how to insert objects into the 3D Stroke "world".
It's the bottom right example here:
http://www.trapcode.com/products_3dstroke.html

Peder Norrby / Trapcode

Return to posts index

Mylenium
on Dec 6, 2005 at 7:07:10 pm

Well, in that particular example the figures are just flat silhouettes which makes it simple to fake the effect usin mattes or the Z-clipping settings in the Camera section. If you want to create the effect in Particular, there is a preset that will create a swirling electron type look. You only need to tell it to use your other layer(s) for obscuration (under the Visibility options).

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

kdawg
on Dec 15, 2005 at 5:09:51 am

Have you tried splitting the layer, so at a particular point you switch positions of the layers, then back again.. wont work if the line for the electrons are continuous though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]