FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoke to go up and THEN blow away with the wind?

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott
Smoke to go up and THEN blow away with the wind?
on Oct 13, 2005 at 9:36:43 am

Sometimes Particular will do exactly what I want it to, other times I feel like I missed a chapter in the help.

I want some smoke to come up out of a chimney, then blow away to the left or right. Trouble is, with wind / gravity the smoke starts moving left/right as soon as it leaves the emitter, rather than moving up and then away. So the smoke forms a diagonal line, rather than a curve.

Wait... the only way I can think of to do this would be to have the smoke move up, but move the emitter to the right. Then, move the layer to the left the same amount at the same time. Am I right?

What if I wanted the smoke to follow a certain path? Is there any way to do that, similar to Foam in AFX?

Return to posts index

Mylenium
Re: Smoke to go up and THEN blow away with the wind?
on Oct 13, 2005 at 10:05:23 am

You can't use paths/ guides/ constraints and your problem with the smoke can be solved without them. You should emit your particles rather fast, then slow them down with a wind coming from top, add some Air resistance if necessary and then use another wind to make them move sideways. Another idea is using the sperical field in combination with the winds.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
Re: Smoke to go up and THEN blow away with the wind?
on Oct 13, 2005 at 1:44:18 pm

As Mylenium points out Air Resistance is what you want to use here. The reason chimney smoke looks the way it does is because the upward motion from the exhaust is stalled by the air (and the fact that the smoke cools off), then after a while, it only blows with the wind. It may also add realism to add some wiggle to the wind params.

Peder Norrby / Trapcode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]