FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shine: Can't see effect

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stone Reader
Shine: Can't see effect
on Jun 22, 2005 at 9:04:55 pm

Hmm...

I create a new project, then click the "Text" tool and write a word. I then go to Effects>Trapcode>Shine. The moment I apply the effect, my text disappears. No text, no effect.

The only way I can see anything is if I go into the Effects panel, twirl down Colorize, and set Colorize to "None" ("One Color", and the "Three" and "Five Color Gradient" produce nothing).

Anybody have an idea on what's wrong?

Thanks,
Naveen

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
Re: Shine: Can't see effect
on Jun 22, 2005 at 9:11:44 pm

Well, first of all, the text tool generates text with an integral alpha, NOT a full frame piece... So the text is masked to the characters itself, there's no place for the rays to appear. Do you understand what I mean. Try dragging the text comp into a new comp (thus creating a precomp), and applying shine to the text comp in the new comp. You should see it just fine. Remember to check the various mix modes at the bottom (screen, multiply, etc) for varying visibility of your original text.

Good Luck,
Bob Bonniol

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Stone Reader
on Jun 22, 2005 at 9:21:15 pm

I tried what you suggested. Still same problem.

At the Trapcode website, the basic tutorial for Shine shows them placing the effect directly onto the text made with the Text tool (not onto a precomposed layer). So that should work.

I can see something with the gradients selected if the "Base On..." is set to "Alpha". If it is on "Lightness" or any of the other settings, nothing. But again, in the Trapcode tutorial, the default setting (which is "Lightness") generates the basic Shine effect. I get nothing.

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Jun 22, 2005 at 9:46:27 pm

Hmmm. I recreated your situation (I had text to do anyway), and I'm not having the same problem. Which, I know, doesn't do you any good. I'll continue to think about it and I'll add feedback later If I come up with anything.

Good Luck...
BB

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Stone Reader
on Jun 22, 2005 at 10:01:00 pm

Thanks. I'll keep trying, and make do with what works for now.

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
Get the latest version of Shine
on Jun 23, 2005 at 7:12:49 am

The first thing you should always check is if there is a later version of the problematic software.
Get the latest version of Shine (1.0.6) here:
http://www.trapcode.com/download.html

If you were using an earlier version, PLEASE let me know where you found it!

Peder Norrby / Trapcode

Return to posts index

Stone Reader
Re: Get the latest version of Shine
on Jun 23, 2005 at 2:52:28 pm

No, we're using the latest version. But actually, I figured out the problem.

I was apply the shine effect to black text. Shine seems to react differently to different colored text (the tutorial at the Trapcode site is using white text). To be able to see anything with black text, you need to mess with the "Base On..." and Transfer Mode settings.

It seems Shine works best with white text. Other colors, you have to play with the settings more to get an effect equally impressive to the one you get with white text.

Unless I'm doing something wrong...

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
on Jun 23, 2005 at 6:20:55 pm

Yes, by default the effect is based on Lightness - and if the text is black, lightness is zero...
Just change "Base On" to "Alpha" if you need the text black.

Peder Norrby / Trapcode

Return to posts index

Marc
by
on Jun 28, 2005 at 6:16:31 pm

I am having the same problem but I'm NOT using black text. I type the text appy the effect and nothing... the effect does work on pictures though just not on text. What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Marc
by
on Jun 28, 2005 at 6:29:30 pm

I am having the same problem but I'm NOT using black text. I type the text appy the effect and nothing... the effect does work on pictures though just not on text. What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
on Jun 28, 2005 at 6:50:13 pm

Do you have the 1.0.6 version?

Peder Norrby / Trapcode

Return to posts index

Marc
by
on Jun 28, 2005 at 6:53:42 pm

Yes... I just bought the plugin.

Return to posts index

Marc
by
on Jun 28, 2005 at 9:33:41 pm

Just to be clear... when I type text on and apply shine, I see the word just not the shine effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]