FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particular omits frames

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Stewart
Particular omits frames
on Jun 13, 2005 at 1:21:51 pm

Hi,
I'm finding that particular skips a lot of frames in my rendered animations. What I mean by that is, one frame the particles will be there (looking amazing!), the next they won't be, the next they will, the next they won't. Basically the end result is a lot of flashing and popping that looks swful.

I suspect that it has something to do with having more than one layer in the composition with particular applied to it, but why is this so?

I also have a particle system coming from an emitter, with motion blur, which will at times go completely "crazy" ... ie for 25 frames it will emit smoothly, then for 10 frames, the previously emitted particles will suddenly change direction and mill around like fish.... then start on their previously defined path again.

I've been using particular for about 6 months now, so I'm 99.99% sure that something is wrong here, and that none of these anomalies are caused by keyframing or parameters. It's happened on several machines, and various different projects.

Has anyone else had these experiences? Is there anywhere I can report this behaviour?
I love Particular, but this behaviour is making it unuseable.

Cheers,
Dave Stewart

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
Re: Particular omits frames
on Jun 13, 2005 at 2:12:00 pm

For the frame omissions, try "Purge Image Cache" and re-render. Sometimes funky frames get in the cache and this is the only way to flush them out. You may need to do this from time time (this is explained in the help)

For the crazy motion blur, most likeley your Camera layer is ending (or beginning) near when this happens, that will make mblur crazy. Workaround: make comp & camera layer longer so even with the mblur it is covered in the timeline (I mean, do not render full timeline).

Peder Norrby / Trapcode

Return to posts index

Dave Stewart
on Jun 13, 2005 at 3:10:12 pm

Hi Peder,
Firstly - thank you for replying, and secondly - thanks for some fantastic software! I love particular - it rocks.

I'd already set my preferences from the "Secret" menu to disable the layer cache and purge every 0 frames during make movie.

I tried lengthening the comp duration and layer duration as you suggested and it didn't seem to have an effect. What I did notice however, was this:

When an animating (position keyframes, motion blur on) illustrator logo within the comp went out of frame, the particles stopped updating, when the logo returned to frame, the particles resumed normal behavior. This kind of anomaly seems to only manifest itself during the render.

I can send to the project, with labels pointing to the specific frames if you like. I'm really sure this is buggy behaviour.

Cheers,
Dave

Return to posts index

Dave Stewart
on Jun 13, 2005 at 3:32:11 pm

Hi Peter,
For your reference - here are small quicktimes of the behaviour:

Motion blur: http://www.pondskata.com/temp/ng_moblur.mov (when the logo goes out of frame)

Popping: http://www.pondskata.com/temp/ng_popping.mov (middle and end, for a few frames)

Cheers,
Dave

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
on Jun 13, 2005 at 4:37:12 pm

[Dave Stewart] "Motion blur: http://www.pondskata.com/temp/ng_moblur.mov (when the logo goes out of frame)
"

This does not look like what you said earlier, it looks like the particles totatlly dissapear, but where is the crazy mblur stuff you were talking about? Anyhow, please send me the project file for this and I'll have a look -peder (at) trapcode.com

[Dave Stewart] "Popping: http://www.pondskata.com/temp/ng_popping.mov (middle and end, for a few frames)
"

I don't know but are you possibly using "Pre-Run" in the Options menu? Try and set that to 0 and see if the popping goes away.

Peder Norrby / Trapcode

Return to posts index

Dave Stewart
on Jun 13, 2005 at 5:32:27 pm

Hi Peder,
Thanks - I'll mail you something shortly. In the meantime, for your reference:

[Peder Norrby] "This does not look like what you said earlier, it looks like the particles totatlly dissapear"
If you look at the frames where the particles seem to disappear - they are actually "swimming" in the top right of the frame. I guess the behaviour is slightly different to what I described... but sometimes the plugin does it, other times it doesn't... so I was describing a "general" situation I suppose.

[Peder Norrby] "I don't know but are you possibly using "Pre-Run" in the Options menu?"
Already set to zero. And this example is fairly mild compared to what I have experienced :O

Thanks again (mail arriving shortly),
Dave Stewart

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
on Jun 13, 2005 at 5:42:05 pm

ok, I would say that is completely different, but maybe I read more into you original explanation than was really there. Anynow, to me it looks like another camera is beeing used for a few frames but I'm not sure why you mention motionblur - does the problem go away if you disable motionblur?

yep, I guess (hope) when I see the project files all will become clear :)

Peder

Return to posts index

Dave Stewart
on Jun 13, 2005 at 6:18:53 pm

Sorry Peder - I've kind of been going round in circles with this one for a while, and what I meant was the particles would go crazy (not the motion blur!).

You'll see in the scene that the motion blur is only designed to visually accentuate the particles' directional movement.

Anyway - let's move on!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]