FORUMS: list search recent posts

Depth of Field In Particular

COW Forums : Trapcode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nicholas raeburn
Depth of Field In Particular
on May 21, 2005 at 7:58:05 pm

Hi Peder or anyone.
Was wondering if particular is able to mimic the appearance of that of using a 3d camera in after effects (ie one plane of focus everything else out of focus blurred) using depth of field settings for the camera i know it does not work with the visibility setting this only fades it out.
Any ideas anybody.

Cheers Nicholas Raeburn

Return to posts index

Mylenium
Re: Depth of Field In Particular
on May 22, 2005 at 9:48:36 am

Not really. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, two techniques might come in handy:

a) Clone your layer a bunch of times and use the depth settings to manually create several "Z-planes" that can be blurred separately. All things considered, that might be even worth for me to doodle up some expressions... *getstowork*

b) For directional emitters just cloning your layer once and modifying the particle colors to greyscales might yield some results - that greyscale map could be used for compound blurs and other fake depth filters.

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

nicholas raeburn
on May 22, 2005 at 10:11:26 am

Yes an expression would be helpful.
What it is is i have some keyed out band members arranged in z space and am rack focusing between them to make it look more organic. It would be nice if my particles (card shapes falling from above like leaves) could mimic the rack focus as well.

Much appreciated
Nicholas Raeburn

Return to posts index

nicholas raeburn
on May 22, 2005 at 11:14:39 am

Yep i was thinking maybe duplicate all three particle layers (for foreground mid and background) and use a fast blur and the visibilty option in particular to slide between foreground and background (also blur would need to accomodate for this) what do you think? Possibly a way of pickwhipping it or an expression to tie in with the actual 3d camera depth of field.

Cheers
Nicholas Raeburn

Return to posts index

Mylenium
on May 22, 2005 at 6:36:06 pm

[nicholas raeburn] "Yep i was thinking maybe duplicate all three particle layers (for foreground mid and background) and use a fast blur and the visibilty option in particular to slide between foreground and background (also blur would need to accomodate for this) what do you think? Possibly a way of pickwhipping it or an expression to tie in with the actual 3d camera depth of field."

That sounds doable, even though It might be tricky - there's no way to actually measure the distances of the particles so you still have to manually input the depth values. You'd also need some helper layer and code to calculate the focus area

I did something different - I built a manual Z-Depth comp. The key is to simply replicate all Particular settings from the main comp and then clone the layer a bunch of times. This will create "slices" of your particle field, each with a different brightness. The more cloned layers you have, the smoother the depth gradient becomes. That sub-comp can then be used to feed effects such as compound blur or Frischluft's Depth of Field (Lenscare). Take a look:

http://voir.mylenium.de/creation/files/ae_particular_fake_z_depth.ZIP

Mylenium

[Pour Myl

Return to posts index

David Rueter
on May 27, 2005 at 11:54:31 pm

It would be an amazing (and maybe not too difficult to implement?) feature if Particular could generate a z-depth channel for AE, letting you do real focus effects, depth mattes, fog, etc.

Even if it didn't directly integrate with AE's 3d channel effects, it would still be a great feature.

Maybe Trapcode would be interested in adding this feature in a later release?

Return to posts index

Peder Norrby
on May 28, 2005 at 11:30:26 am

Yes a depth buffer out (z buffer) would be nice. One problem is that an AE plug-in can only define one output so it would require a second instance of the plug-in and effectively doubling the render-time. This is a weakness in AE we cannot get around. However, if we did the DOF effect internally it would not require a second instance so that may be preferable.

Peder Norrby / Trapcode

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]