FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya to After Effects & good results

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Owen Forsyth
Maya to After Effects & good results
on Nov 23, 2017 at 10:36:59 pm

Looking for some tips regarding Autodesk Maya & After Effects / Element 3D.

I am stuck in a project, I do the modelling and laying out in Maya, I get better rendering results in Maya with textures and materials but the rendering of animations is painfully slow with Mental Ray. I cant really do any of the effects in Maya though

I used to export the scene from Maya to After Effects and do the camera animations and effects but I do notice a difference in the textures, material quality.

Has any got any tips on how to get a middle result, somewhere I can do all of the work and get a good quality result.

Here is an example. I am making a cavern / cave / chasm that will have fog / mist. There are plenty of extras, broken bridge, skull entrances to the caves etc. And there will be monsters, animated who will also be shooting fireballs. I am not a master of animation, modelling etc and have to use the two softwares to get what I want.

This is a screen grab from Maya, which took 10 minutes for a 960 x 540 to render

And this is a test render I did in After Effects / Element

I am still a noob when it comes to all of this, I can do all the effects in After Effects but better render results in Maya with the help of tutorials, so I am not afraid to watch the tutorials, its just something I am coming up against that I would like to get around.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Maya to After Effects & good results
on Nov 27, 2017 at 8:35:42 pm

I don't understand why you need to do this in After Effects?
Are you using it to composite render passes?
Are you adding another camera layer?
Ultimately what do you want After Effects to do for you?

Return to posts index

Owen Forsyth
on Nov 27, 2017 at 11:04:22 pm

I just find it easier and quicker to render in After Effects. i can use the cameras and effects better in After Effects, in reality I only know how to model and simple animations in Maya i dont really know how to get the effects I want in Maya either

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 30, 2017 at 3:32:33 pm

[Owen Forsyth] "I just find it easier and quicker to render in After Effects"

I guess if you are referring to post work e.g. lens-flares, blurs, etc...

I just didn't get what your workflow is about.

Return to posts index

Owen Forsyth
on Nov 30, 2017 at 7:42:23 pm

Yes sorry, I know just about enough of both software programs to be dangerous lol but not enough about either to just stick with one.

Id love to do all of this in Maya as the render results are far better

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 4, 2017 at 3:39:08 pm

[Owen Forsyth] "Id love to do all of this in Maya as the render results are far better
"

Its dependent on workflow as far as picking a renderer.

Ultimately (like all professional film projects) it should be After Effects but as a VFX final pass.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]