FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting Up a Project?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ethan Dale
Setting Up a Project?
on Apr 27, 2017 at 10:40:17 pm

Hello!

So I recently ran into an issue in which all of the textures from my Maya project were missing when I moved the Maya Binary file over to another computer for rendering. I looked around and found that I should've been storing the textures and other items in the proper locations from the very start of beginning my Maya project. The damage has already been done (4 or 5 scenes each with hundreds of objects that I'll have to retexture), but I was mainly wondering, what steps can I take to avoid these issues in the first place? I know how to use the "Set Project" function (I think) and I definitely know how to create a new Maya project through the Project Window. Where should I be storing my textures however? My UV maps that I exported from ZBrush? Relevant OBJ files? There are so many folders in each Maya project that I don't even know where to begin. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Setting Up a Project?
on Apr 28, 2017 at 1:51:56 pm

It all depends on where it was originally imported from.
I use maya project folder structure but after awhile I started changing where my renders and sourceimages folder resides.
Usually its on a bigger drive on the network and thats fine.
There are mel scripts for fixing this but I what I do is I export as maya ascii and use an xml text editor or whatever works and do a FIND/REPLACE on paths.
I know its annoying and I just ran into this issue two days ago :P

Return to posts index

Ethan Dale
Re: Setting Up a Project?
on Apr 28, 2017 at 4:39:25 pm

Personally I don't know how to code what you're talking about, though it sounds fairly simplistic...is there any chance you could help me figure it out? I made a project with Maya and even put all of the textures in the folders within the project, and when I moved it to the new computer, it STILL was looking for C:\Users\ethandale\Documents\maya\Maya Projects\BirdFinal\sourceimages instead of the location of the project on the new computer (I made sure the workspace.mel file was in there and everything). Your solution seems to be my best bet at this point, since Maya doesn't seem to be smart enough to realize the project is in a new location. :P

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]