FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya Curve Warp - Animate the Curve

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Pease
Maya Curve Warp - Animate the Curve
on Feb 7, 2017 at 6:19:55 pm

I'm currently trying to animate a curve sliding through a simple polygon shape to deform the shape without the shape moving position. I've tried using several deformers but they all have some limitations. I've tried the Maya wire deformer, curve warp, MASH curve warp, motion path with flow path as well as even animated displacement maps, Maya texture deformers, iDeform plugin, and nCloth.

The best deformed results I'm getting are from the curve warp and motion/flow path. The only problem with these is that the polygon has to move along the curve to deform. If you move the curve, it moves the polygon attached to it. I want my polygons to stay in one place with the curve changing position through the polygon.

This almost works right with the nonlinear deformers as they can be moved through a polygon independently. The only limitations on those are the preset nonlinear deformers. I want my own curves to do the deforming.

Is there a way to break the connection on the curve warp or motion path/flow path to move the curve and not the polygon? I've got a few tests for the shapes I'm trying to "pass through" my polygons so you can see what kind of deforming I want to do. http://www.markpease.com/thought.html

Thank you for reading and offering any ideas.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Maya Curve Warp - Animate the Curve
on Feb 8, 2017 at 1:12:37 pm

Its been awhile since I've tried this, but cant you just move the deformer over time?

Maybe I need to see an example of what you are trying to achieve.

It seems your examples are working for you thus confuses me.

Return to posts index

Mark Pease
Re: Maya Curve Warp - Animate the Curve
on Feb 8, 2017 at 4:41:22 pm

Thanks Eric. My examples each have some success but they're limited by some important things. The displacement maps work but don't deform the entire mesh, only the surfaces. I've posted another example of how the Curve Warp does a great job of deforming my meshes based on the curve.

I mainly want to be able to move the Curve instead of the deforming geometry. I can re-position the geometry after the Curve Warp creates the movement, but it isn't as exact as I'd like it to be.

Thanks again.
Here's a link to the test where I'm animated the Curve Warp Offset.
http://www.markpease.com/thought.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]