FORUMS: list search recent posts

Texturing a 3d room to look realistic for short film

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Wilton-King
Texturing a 3d room to look realistic for short film
on Aug 6, 2016 at 1:44:42 am

Hello,

I am making a short film and I have designed an entire room in Google Sketchup as that is the program I know how to use best the room is where the whole film will be taking place and I need to texture all of the walls, doors and floors (the floor is made of ice) to look as realistic as possible so it looks almost real when I greenscreen my character into the scene, I am still very new to the world of 3d modeling so any help would be greatly appreciated

Google Sketchup can export files in the format of: .3ds .dwg .dxf .dae .fbx .ifc .kmz .ojb .wrl .xsi
I know some of those files can be used in 3ds Max, Maya and other programs but I am unsure of what file type to use for texturing etc. I am also unsure as to how I would go about texturing or even finding the appropriate textures for this project. The only website I have found to have image based textures is CGtextures.com but I'm not sure if any of those will look realistic enough, I am only looking for a nice wooden texture for the walls and an ice texture to use for the floor. I have uploaded 3 screenshots of the 3d room in sketchup to give you an idea of what the walls and floor looks like

I have tried looking at a couple of texture tutorials on youtube but none seem to be telling me what I need to know, all help is greatly appreciated, thank you all and have a great day/night where ever you are in the world :-) :-)

Let The Light Bring You Darkness

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Texturing a 3d room to look realistic for short film
on Aug 8, 2016 at 7:27:01 pm

Texturing/modeling is half the battle.
You will need to learn to light the scene then render.
Best you get some help if your in a rush.

Return to posts index

Jack Wilton-King
on Aug 8, 2016 at 10:57:37 pm

I have until November to finish it so I have plenty of time to work on it. Are there any tutorials that I should look at to help? Ive been looking at texturing tutorials but they arent explaining things very well.

I don't particularly want help in the 3d part of tbis project as I would like to use it as a demo reel in the future when I have more projects done. Thanks

Let The Light Bring You Darkness

Return to posts index

Richard John
on Sep 18, 2016 at 5:49:12 am

Texturing is quite the process requiring uv unwrapping as well as photoshop experience. They're are other softwares you can use for texturing like mari, substance, etc, but those take some time to learn as well. There's no shortcut for this sort of thing. I would google, texturing tutorials as well as rendering and compositing tutorials if you're trying to get your room to look realistic. Or if you have the money, hire individuals focusing on those practices. Anyway Goodluck

Return to posts index

Richard John
on Sep 18, 2016 at 6:21:09 am

I'm sorry, but they're no shortcuts for accomplishing this. No easy way, just old fashion hard work. I would look at tons of uv unwrapping tutorials a well as texturing tutorials and rendering (google sketchup) tutorials. Another option is paying someone to do the work for you. Anyway, goodluck.

My portfolio website: http://richardj9000.wixsite.com/darkwaters1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]