FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem: Image Plane won't follow camera

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Martin
Problem: Image Plane won't follow camera
on Jul 6, 2015 at 8:33:51 pm

I've created a camera track using 3DEqualizer which I have exported into Maya. The exported data includes an image plane, a camera and a point group. The camera has animation baked and the image plane moves with the camera as expected. When I connect the image sequence - a TIFF sequence - the image plane stops moving with the camera for some reason. If I am looking through my tracked camera and I toggle various values (e.g. 'looking through camera' and 'in all views') then sometimes the image plan snaps back into place - but as soon as I play the sequence it suddenly jumps away and then no longer follows the camera. If I create a simple polygon plane, parent it to the camera and use a surface shader to project the footage then I can get around this as this plane follows the camera - but it would be nice to know why this issue is occurring. I am using Maya 2016 on OS X 10.10.3.

Any thoughts welcome!

Return to posts index

Oleg Fedenko
Re: Problem: Image Plane won't follow camera
on Aug 14, 2015 at 8:56:58 am

I have the same issue. It's very annoying thing :( Have you found solution?

Return to posts index

Paul Martin
on Aug 14, 2015 at 2:50:32 pm

I used a workaround. I created a polygon plane, positioned it perpendicular to the camera, parented it to the camera and then placed the image sequence as a texture on the plane (basically making my own image plane). I sized/scaled the plane to have the same ratio as the footage. Hope that makes sense.

Return to posts index

Oleg Fedenko
on Aug 14, 2015 at 4:10:42 pm

I did exactly the same :) But anyway it would be great to found the way to use image plane automatically...

Return to posts index

Nick Hall
on Sep 3, 2015 at 4:51:07 am

So I'm guessing for you as well.. that if you render out the weird image plane movement it will still render like it should, but just in the viewport it'll act weird? because I'm having this problem as well...

Return to posts index

Oleg Fedenko
on Sep 3, 2015 at 8:41:59 am

Yes. I checked it again- image is rendered as it should be. Only viewport behaviour is non correct.

Return to posts index

Nick Hall
on Sep 3, 2015 at 11:59:35 am
Last Edited By Nick Hall on Sep 3, 2015 at 12:06:36 pm

Well, I was "troubleshooting" clicking on everything in Maya 2016... and I noticed using the old "Legacy High Quality Viewport" seems to have "fixed" it... for the most part at least... but it is much easier to look at since the image actually shows up now.

Also I noticed since I use Renderman as my renderer I must use something called a "holdout" which I found here:
http://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41631
& here:
http://renderman.pixar.com/resources/current/RenderMan/risHoldOut.html

but yeah, I think I pretty much "fixed" my problem. the batch renders seem to have turned out like they did on the tutorial I was trying to do here:
http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/composite-a-3d-object-into-video-footage-...

^ I tried this tutorial on Maya 2015 and I didn't have any problems with the image plane acting weird, so I kinda felt like Maya 2016 felt broken... but seems I have found out how to "work around it".

ps: I believe I'm posting all these links for my behalf, in the future if I have any of these problems again, and that I forget. but anyways, hope you find some of this stuff useful, especially the "Legacy High Quality Viewport" part.

pps?: ...and, almost forgot I noticed the "image plane" wouldn't render even when I rendered it before, but noticed switching "movie" to an image sequence (yes, I had to add another step to the "workflow") ...fixed that problem up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]