FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering and CPU usage...

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dule Bajin
Rendering and CPU usage...
on Mar 23, 2015 at 11:53:44 pm

I need to render a very complex and big scene in maya.... A whole minute of it.
So, with all optimizations, I got minimal possible render time between 8 and 20 minutes per frame! Which is a disaster.
Practically I will need around two weeks to render everything!

Considering that render always use 100% of CPU, I am very concerned for my computer health.
How safe is for computer to work so long with 100% of processor usage?

I guess I can stop render every day on few hours to cool it down or something?

But it is very important to finish this project.

Any idea and advice how to deal with this situation - how can I additionally speed up the process and protect my CPU from potential damage?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

George Sears
Re: Rendering and CPU usage...
on Apr 9, 2015 at 1:56:40 pm

Hi Dule,

Hardware and software are generally stress-tested to be able to handle being on and doing things for copious amounts of time.
There shouldn't be any adverse affects to constantly rendering for a week or two (at the very least, not in the near future.)
That being said, if you have some other ways to keep it cool, such as an external fan, Air Conditioning or, like you suggested, letting it cool down every now and again, then use those; a hot computer is not a happy computer.

As far as possible time-constraints go, if you have the money to spare, you can look into a render farm, where you send your finished scene, and they render it for you (I don't know any prices off-hand, but cheap isn't the word anyone would use to describe them.)

If you don't have the money, but have access to multiple computers that can handle the job, that is a real God-send.
Otherwise, you'll just have to wait it out.
Just be glad your scene isn't taking an hour minimum per frame (I had to deal with that for my grad reel, with over 2000 frames.)

Good luck with your rendering, and remember, stuff DOES screw up, and you might have to re-render some things.

Kill me again; I dare you!

Return to posts index

Dule Bajin
on Apr 9, 2015 at 4:58:12 pm

Thank you so much for your answer. It is very helpful.
I put computer in one small room with AC on at 16 degree Celsius blowing directly on computer... so I think that is ok because room feels like a fridge! hehe :)

I think render will finish in the next 4-5 days....
As for your "one hour per frame rendering", this my project was the same in the beginning - one hour per frame and I even wanted to do 60 frames per second - which means that I would need a few months to render all that, so I needed to change it - I use now 30 frames per second and changed settings but somehow managed to keep most of the "quality look" - now is 20 minutes per frame... biggest savings I got optimizing indirect lightning in mental ray - decreasing accuracy and point density, but increasing point interpolation (which made scene looks much more smooth and nice like when point density was high).

Return to posts index

George Sears
on Apr 11, 2015 at 10:32:36 am

That's good to hear; I'm glad I could be of some use!

Yeah, a lot of the time, some scene/texture/setting optimization can half or quarter render times, and that is a Godsend.
My instructor made us model everything in our scenes (I had multiple buildings each with hundreds of shingles, foliage and other intricacies,) and when it came to rendering, there were so many shadows being cast and so many lights (because he also made us light everything manually, and I didn't exactly know what I was doing,) that render times almost had me pulling my hair out (though I know now what kinds of things I could've done to ease render times a bit.)

Good luck with your current and future projects!

Kill me again; I dare you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]