FORUMS: list search recent posts

Layering multiple images on mesh: seeking suggestions on workflow

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriele Bartoli
Layering multiple images on mesh: seeking suggestions on workflow
on Feb 12, 2015 at 6:11:06 pm

Hi guys,

I'm not too good when it comes to texturing and stuff. This is what I'm trying to do:

- I have a model of a toy car, and I want to add decals/stickers to it
- It's a simple mesh with three different flat coloured shaders atteched on a face by face basis
- I'd like to bake out the diffuse map at the end of the whole process of placing the decals

The first attempt consisted in applying the base colors, then laying out the uvs and finally bake the map plus saving the uv snapshot and add the decals in photoshop. Needless to say that any minor distortion in the map becomes gigantic when applying the texture back on the model. Besides, properly placing every sticker is not exactly easy.

I then decided to try and project all the decals on the car, using a layeredShader, but I'm having all sorts of issues with the alphas of the decals. I am clearely missing something here.

So now I am thinking of creating an image file with all the decals to be used as texture and then create various UV projections onto the areas that are supposed to receive the decals. This could work, but I guess it would screw up all the uniformity of the UV layout. I always thought that having uniform UV layouts was the most important thing to do, but in this particular case I don't think I have to worry about the surface that is not receiving the decals.

So, bottom line: any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Layering multiple images on mesh: seeking suggestions on workflow
on Feb 19, 2015 at 3:03:51 pm

In some cases the decals, dirt, anomalies, etc are applied as one big texture in Photoshop with Alpha.
Other cases its applied on the base color in Photoshop with no Alpha.
I know it can be done (your workflow) but its a pain.

Return to posts index

Gabriele Bartoli
Re: Layering multiple images on mesh: seeking suggestions on workflow
on Feb 21, 2015 at 12:49:44 am

Thanks for the reply.

I ended up doing all the projections using layered textures and then exporting a color map to use in Photoshop!

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]