FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya Ocean looks like it's flooding my boat

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hasser
Maya Ocean looks like it's flooding my boat
on Jan 23, 2015 at 4:55:24 am

Hello, and thanks in advance for your help. I have a scene with a submarine that has glass windows. In my shot the submarine submerges under water. As it does so, the water doesn't interact with the edge of the ship and it looks as if the water enters the ship and drowns the passengers. Is there a way to keep the water out of my sub?

I've tried using a wake to do this, but it doesn't keep the water out 100%, water can still enter the area of the wake emitter. Is there a way to make water unable to enter the volume of the emitter? If so, that might work.

I also, saw a video about an expression to create a curve for the intersection of a boat with the ocean plane, but that was in order to create a paint effect. Is there a script or expression to use that curve to delete that portion of the water?

Autodesk help files mention a flooding boat and suggest rendering separate passes and compositing. That doesn't seem like it would work because of the glass windows, but does anyone have a suggestion for that?

Thanks for the help.
David

Return to posts index

Bård R Gunnerud
Re: Maya Ocean looks like it's flooding my boat
on Feb 3, 2015 at 10:15:41 am

I don't know of any script, and there could be that some script could help you with the issue. But my understanding of the ocean shader, is that it is simply an illusion of water, not a simulation. It is a shader, on a planer surface using displacement values to create the illusion of water, therefor it can not interact in that way with the sub. What you could try is have a curve intersect a NURBS surface, that creates a hole on the surface. Shape that hole as your sub, and it should look like it interacts. You should be able to animate that curve move on your surface too, on CV level. Else, you would have to use something like BiFröst with a cage around the sub, that interacts with the sub, and then composite it with a render of the ocean.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]