FORUMS: list search recent posts

Renderman Shading Language: Customize shader attributes in Maya?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Karin Nacken
Renderman Shading Language: Customize shader attributes in Maya?
on Jan 19, 2015 at 10:32:44 am

Hey guys,

I am writing a shader in the Renderman Shading Language right now for Maya. Works fine, but I can't find a solution to customize the shading attributes.
This is my workflow at the moment:
I customized Sublime Text (Editor) to write the .sl file. I am writing a surface shader. I compile it with the shader.exe (included in RendermanForMaya) to get the .slo file. In Maya, I import my shader.slo file via a RendermanShader Node and attach it to the objects in my scene. The attributes in the RendermanShader options are those, that I declarded in the .sl file along with the shader declaration:

surfaceshader shader(attribute1, ...){
}

Ok? Here is my problem:
Since there are some attributes only for diffuse options for example, it would be nice to collect them in a tap or just in a named group. I dont think, that I can that kind of stuff in the RSL or in the .sl file. Maybe there is a way in Maya?
But acutally I want to do more. Let say, some parts of the shader (e.g. diffuse calculation) should only be done, if the user checks a checkbox. I thought that for those querys I have to seperate this part of the shader in a function or new shader. So I was thinking, that I have to build a network for those things. I tried to figure out how slim works, but I cant find a good tutorial for that and I am not sure, if slim will help me anyway.

Maybe it is just me, but I think the hole RenderMan and RenderMan for Maya documentation needs some improvement.
If anyone has an idea or tip for me, let me know!

Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]