I'm having trouble understanding how Mental Ray Satellite is supposed to work. I'm on OS X Yosemite, 10.10, and have followed the direction in the manual, but can't quite seem to get it right. Here's what I'm doing:
1. Download the mental ray satellite disk image to my Mac.
2. Open the disk image,
3. Double-click the installer for mental ray satellite, let it do its thang. I do not adjust any settings,
4. Next, I go to the terminal and run the installer script in the bin folder from the command prompt. Nothing else happens and I cannot verify that the service is even there, much less running, but oh well.
5. I turn OFF the Firewall on both machines (connected via WiFi with an Apple Time Capsule as the wireless router). I open port 7415 on the router (the default port for Maya Mental Ray Satellite — I think).
6. I start a Batch Render in Maya and tell it to use Networked machines as well.
7. The darn thing renders only on the master, but not the slave.
What the frak am I doing wrong here? Is there some secret methodology to the install that's not listed in the documentation? Please help! Step by step instructions please . . . even the "obvious" stuff that I might have to "infer", too. :D