Problem with custom axis and snapping in Maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bruno koch
Problem with custom axis and snapping in Maya
on Jul 24, 2014 at 11:17:36 am
Last Edited By bruno koch on Jul 24, 2014 at 12:08:39 pm

Hello!

I've been working with Maya2012 on and off for about a year now, and I've always ran into this problem.
Basically, when i extrude a cube to prepare it for making a 45 degree turn (or any specific angle) I rotate the resulting face, but that means that the angle of the connected faces are not 90 degrees anymore, and fixing that issue changes the 45 degree face.

One of the solutions i can think of to solve this would be moving a vertex to get the desired angle, based on the thickness of the object.
Like moving the top vertex a distance of the thickness of the object to the right would result in a straight up 45 degree angle in this case.
This method can't really work because i work with things like bevels that would make it a lot more time consuming to measure the thickness.

The second method would be to have a custom axis method (which i know that blender and MAX have), but i couldn't get it to work in Maya.

As my illustration shows I'd need snapping to work too, in order to remain precise. Is this possible in Maya, or do i have to get a plugin/switch to a new version?

Thank you for any insights that you could provide.

Return to posts index

bruno koch
Re: Problem with custom axis and snapping in Maya
on Jul 24, 2014 at 2:56:34 pm
Last Edited By bruno koch on Jul 24, 2014 at 3:05:52 pm

Update: I've looked into Maya2015, and it seems like you can easily change and orient your pivot point with the Modeling Toolkit, but can you still snap to a vertex while moving on a custom axis with that toolkit?

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/maya2014/en_us/index.html?url=file...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]