FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying weights from single mesh to multiple meshes causes nasty seams

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Peres
Copying weights from single mesh to multiple meshes causes nasty seams
on Feb 8, 2014 at 12:15:45 am

Hi all, I've been in a dilemma with my rig. I want to try to create some characters in Unity using their UMA system, so I made used an old model I made using a single mesh of Frozone to test things out. I got the mesh rigged and ready to go, and it loads in Unity. However, the UMA system also needs the mesh to be separate to make swappable parts, so I duplicated my mesh, separated the parts, and smooth bound it all to the original rig. I figured I could just copy the weights over from the single mesh to the individual parts.

However, I get open seams here:

The torso *should* be influenced by the neck joint, but it isn't at all. Any ideas?

Thanks!

-
James

Mac Pro 4,1 Quad Core 2.66

Return to posts index

James Peres
Re: Copying weights from single mesh to multiple meshes causes nasty seams
on Feb 11, 2014 at 12:18:41 am

The only way I got this to work is to manually Add Influence with the joint selected. I just really don't understand how copying weights over would result in this mesh not including certain influences. Going to try another mesh to see if the same thing happens.

-
James

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:40:45 pm

Not sure why this is happening, but if you are looking for an alternate strategy, rather than smooth binding the parts to the original rig, you could instead use a wrap deformer to drive the parts based on the original, whole mesh.

As for the seams, I wonder if there's some sort of 'maximum distance' setting that needs to be adjusted? Maybe that's overriding the copied weights. Also note you should probably be able to select individual verts and read their weights using the Component Editor, so that might offer some further clues about what's happening.

Return to posts index

James Peres
on Feb 15, 2014 at 11:20:10 pm

Thanks Steve for replying! I figured out what was primarily killing my skin: I had Removed Unused Influences checked in the Smooth Binding options dialog. That was the one removing some of the influences that Copy Skin Weights was having difficulty with.

Actually, Jakub Krompolic's Skinning Tools helped me identify the problem. It only took me two weeks to figure out! Copy Skin Weights work with Transfer Attributes to perfectly make the separate meshes work the same as my unified mesh.

(Tip: There's a cool trick with Transfer Attributes where you apply it to the original shape node while unchecking "Intermediate Object". This is good for fixing rigged models—more explained here.)

Thanks!

-
James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]