FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoothing Parts of a Mesh

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Robinson
Smoothing Parts of a Mesh
on Feb 7, 2014 at 7:24:23 pm

Hi,

I am trying to model a bass guitar in maya. I started by tracing the image in illustrator then beveling the outline in maya.

My problem is a want to smooth the Bass, but now it looks like this.

The smooth messes up the flat surface. How do I fix it so it does not smooth the large face of the Bass? Is there any way to fix the mesh so this does not happen?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Smoothing Parts of a Mesh
on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:37:46 pm

Yes, you can select individual faces and apply smoothing to them. In this case you would want to select everything, then deselect the two large faces making up the front/back of the guitar body.

Other approaches might include subdividing the front/back faces first, so they aren't just one huge polygon each, or smoothing your original shape first before extruding and beveling.

Return to posts index

Evan Robinson
on Feb 11, 2014 at 6:15:22 pm

Thanks,

I actually found another way to model the bass that is more effective.

E. Robinson

Return to posts index

James Peres
on Feb 15, 2014 at 11:22:44 pm

You should always try to keep everything as quads. Having that huge n-gon will make smoothing wacky. You can block it in, and make sure you have three edge loops when you want a tight edge, and smooth will work the way you need it. I've seen a demo where a top modeler blocked out an entire car really rough and was able to hit smooth once and it looked like the whole car because he knew exactly what to do to make smooth work for him.

-
James

Mac Pro 4,1 Quad Core 2.66

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]