FORUMS: list search recent posts

Solidworks to Maya Workflow

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ofir Bino
Solidworks to Maya Workflow
on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:20:05 pm

Hi
I am making a short movie of a machine of a client of mine. The client sent me the design from the factory in china. The file format I got had x_t extention. With Autodesk Inventor Fusion, I managed to convert it to an AutoCAD file, and import it into Maya (2013).
The amount of detail was insane. Maya got stuck every time I tried to view it shaded, and the render time had no end. Every plane and curve was seperated, and anything had thickness, with internal mesh that is not visible any way.
It was meant for production in a factory, with all the tiny pieces, nothing Maya could handle.
So I started cleaning up all the stuff I don't need, and after four days of work it was posible to work with, convet to polygons, add materials and more.
Now I have another client with even more complicated machines. Is there a right workflow to do such a thing? Is there anything the client can do to give me more appropriate design or format. Is there any way to make these 4 days shorter?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Ofir

Return to posts index

Ofir Bino
Re: Solidworks to Maya Workflow
on Jan 16, 2014 at 12:49:51 pm

Amyone?

Return to posts index

Brock Jolet
on Jan 17, 2014 at 4:27:18 pm

As a Mac user, I have struggled with this issue. Solidworks files can only be read on a PC. If you are not on a PC, you will need to convert the SLPRT file to something like IGES from Solidworks. If you are on a PC, there are a few options such as using Rhino as a passthrough or I have also used SimLab (as a trial) and it converted to FBX flawlessly.

Return to posts index

Anderson Almeida
on Mar 3, 2016 at 2:18:04 pm

Hello, Did you ever find the solution to your issue. I have an insane huge solid works file that I would like to clean up in a speedy manner. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ofir Bino
on Mar 3, 2016 at 3:28:37 pm

Not really. I came to the conclusion that in complicated cases with heavy files, it's most likely easier to model the model from scratch than cleaning up the solidworks file.

Return to posts index

Ken Geary
on Apr 22, 2016 at 9:41:03 pm

try Okino's Polytrans . It comes with a Maya plugin that allows conversion inside Maya, as well as separate program to convert Solidworks to .OBJ, .3ds and other formats. http://www.okino.com/conv/conv.htm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]