FORUMS: list search recent posts

nParticles - Output Mesh Problem

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aidan Patterson
nParticles - Output Mesh Problem
on Sep 11, 2013 at 8:42:53 am

Hi,

I'm trying to simulate water with nParticles, I have cached the simulation to disk but the output mesh changes in appearance during the simulation.

Between two frames, it suddenly goes from appearing noisy and turbulent to appearing smooth and calm. Below is an example:

Any help as to why it changes would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aidan

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: nParticles - Output Mesh Problem
on Sep 16, 2013 at 3:03:38 pm

That's strange.

Check for the obvious culprits: no keyframes on any of your meshing attributes? What about things like particle radius?

Something else that might be related--and I'm not 100% sure about this--is that there might be some outlying particles that are throwing off the meshing resolution. I believe that the mesh gets calculated differently depending on the size of the bounding box of the particle object. So if one particle is sneaking off and traveling far away from the group--or if a faraway particle suddenly dies for some reason, and the bounding box shrinks--you might see a big change in the mesh like this.

As I say, I'm not sure, but it might be worth looking into. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Aidan Patterson
on Sep 17, 2013 at 8:07:50 am

Thanks for the reply Steve!

I managed to solve this one, it seemed to be a problem with the output mesh settings. The Max Triangle Resolution was set too low so that at a certain point in the timeline the mesh grew beyond the resolution of the voxel grid and so it seemed to be tessellated with less detail from that point onwards.

Increasing the Max Triangle Resolution allowed for the mesh to grow further at a good resolution.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Sep 19, 2013 at 7:18:37 pm

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for posting the solution!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]