FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya 2013 Dumb Newbie Q's

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gavonni Johnson
Maya 2013 Dumb Newbie Q's
on Sep 6, 2013 at 12:27:04 am

Hi to everybody reading this, thanks for the time and eyeballs. Moreover, thanks in advance for showing me how daft I am. Hope everybody at Creative Cow is doing well and being creative! It has been a long time since I was in Chi in their studio!

Anyways, tryinna’ learn this Maya 2013 software and its goin’ ok, but I got what must be to many of you reading this, a really dumb, newbie question nonetheless, it has me stumped! Its gotta be there, right in front of my face… well, let me get to the darned question:

How in blazes do I make an instance (not a copy) of a polygon “mirror” everything I do to it’s original? I’m making boots on a model of a guy wearin’ Timberland boots and want to model the darker, upper-rear leather Achilles tendon pad. Once. Not twice.

It was my understanding from literature I read from Autodesk and others, that creating an instance should give me a “copy” that mimics everything I do to it’s original. Y’know, like quantum particles entangled baby!

The polygon gets created just fine but when I select “duplicate special” all I get is a simple
copy. It doesn’t matter what options I check. “Smart trans” does nothing to change this. Making it an instance or not means nothing. So if making it an instance doesn’t do anything, isn’t there another way? Like making a copy a child and having it simply “mirror” everything I do to its parent or somethin’? I feel like an idiot.

Gots a major thing happenin’ here in the galaxy and time’s truly wasting, H E L P!!!

"I just might have a problem that you'll understand."
-'Lean On Me' Bill Withers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]