FORUMS: list search recent posts

{REQUEST} How to render a certain animation style

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Coleman Reyna
{REQUEST} How to render a certain animation style
on Jul 19, 2013 at 9:27:10 pm

Hi Everyone!

I just had a question as to how I would accomplish a certain animation style, or rather explained. I’m sure you have seen the Disney short “Paperman” but if you haven’t, here is the link:

I love 2D animation, but I also love the look of 3D animation. This is obviously an awesome combo of the two styles. Here is another video that briefly showed how they got this effect:

I understand the concept of rendering different layers and drawing tweened lines on top of the models, but I don’t exactly know how to do this. I know that Disney uses its own programs, but I can’t imagine that this can’t be done with C4D or Maya or Max.

So does anyone want to further explain how this can be done with some sort of tutorial? I’m sure tons of people are wanting to implement this in their work, but don’t know the correct steps to do so.

Currently, I am using C4D, but I am up to using a different program just to achieve this effect. If someone could explain this process in clear steps, it would be greatly appreciated by me and I’m sure, many others.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to spread their knowledge!

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: {REQUEST} How to render a certain animation style
on Jul 23, 2013 at 5:00:25 pm

[Coleman Reyna] "I know that Disney uses its own programs, but I can’t imagine that this can’t be done with C4D or Maya or Max."

Well, in a word... it can't.

At least, sadly, not to anywhere near the level of quality that Disney achieved in that masterful little film.

Cel shading is certainly nothing new, and you can look into some of Maya's non-photorealistic shaders (i.e. Toon shaders) and PaintEffects stroke techniques for an idea of how to achieve some out-of-the-box solutions. But these will certainly be primitive compared to Paperman. As the video you posted shows, they go far beyond simple cel-style shading and work with simulated paper textures, including texture displacement based on motion vectors, special smart line tweening, and so on. This moves beyond the realm of simply rendering and into analyzing and applying sophisticated processing to the shot in aid of rendering. All of that stuff is way beyond anything you're likely to find in an off-the-shelf package... yet!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]