FORUMS: list search recent posts

Modeling a Dice (Pic Attached)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian Young
Modeling a Dice (Pic Attached)
on Jul 16, 2013 at 12:07:13 am

I am trying to model dice but the only topic I saw here was from 2003, using nurbs. I am using polygons.

The issues I had after starting this thread has been resolved. However now, the edges of my cube are uneven.

Process: I create a cube with multiple segments and insert edge loops on the corners. Next, I extrude the faces. Finally, I smooth the mesh with 3 divisions. This is simply for a still image, so the high poly count is okay.

I am happy with the result but one edge is sharp and perfect, the other side is too smooth. I think I may have placed my edge loops unevenly before I applied the smooth mesh command.

If there is a more efficient way of modeling dice, please share.

http://postimg.org/image/hdzf7zz5j/

Video/Motion Graphics Editor

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Modeling a Dice (Pic Attached)
on Jul 16, 2013 at 8:52:44 pm

Hi, Lillian. The 'bevel' tool is a more common approach for producing rounded edges and corners. With a little experimentation, you should be able to get the results you're looking for. If you apply one bevel to the whole cube, all the various edges should end up with the same curvature.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Jul 17, 2013 at 1:43:22 pm

Hi Steve. I thought of that but the issue was getting the holes smoothly round without faceting. That's why I opted for the smooth option.

I figured it out though (Inserted edge loops on corners, added multiple edge loops on the cube, extruded the holes then smoothed it)and got a good result but now I am struggling with creating that clear, gel-like dice material. I have started a separate thread for that.

Thanks again!

Video/Motion Graphics Editor

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 17, 2013 at 4:46:03 pm

I did a tutorial for my class on this.
Using Polygons.

Create Poly Cube.
Apply bevel on all edges first before any Booleans.
Create Poly Sphere to size you require.
Delete top half of sphere.
Place half of sphere within the Boolean area of Cube.
Edit the verts to create a bevel effect on the half sphere e.g. shape like a upside down crash cymbal.
Duplicate half spheres and place where required.
Before applying Boolean, select all half spheres in the mix (save one for later) and apply Combination.
You do this to apply a decent Boolean to the whole cube.
You repeat this process numerous times with the half spheres.
Make sure to save some for later use.
When I do this in my class, I make sure that the cube is in zero coordinates so that grouped/duplicated half spheres can be rotated in the perfect position for other sides of the die.
This is also helpful for the students to learn the Cartesian coordinates system when moving the half spheres in different view ports (front, top and side).
Good luck and have fun :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]