FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem With Shadows From Imported Transparent Images

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian Young
Problem With Shadows From Imported Transparent Images
on Jun 25, 2013 at 2:34:23 am

I had an idea after kind of mastering the whole 2D to 3D animation process in After Effects -- y'know, where you cut out/extract the image in Photoshop, then bring those layers into After Effects, convert them to 3D then animate a camera through it? However, I thought I'd like to do this in a real 3D environment by bringing in transparent cut-outs into Maya.

This worked fantastically on one image. But thinking about it, that image had a dark backdrop. On the new image, the background was white and I noticed that once I lit and rendered it, I got all kinds of plane-shaped shadows.

My Steps: I bring in, say...a cut-out of a chair and map that image to a Polygon plane. Next,I set up lights and render. Once rendered, there are square shadows which I assume to be from the plane although those areas in the viewport are perfectly transparent.

I don't wish to build the geometry and map images onto it (like Cinema 4D's "Projection Man"). I really am just attempting to take the parallax/2D to 3D effect a bit further, fast and simply. But if Maya picks up the transparent objects in render, then maybe this isn't possible.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Using: Mac Pro OS X, Maya 2014

Video/Motion Graphics Editor

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Problem With Shadows From Imported Transparent Images
on Jun 27, 2013 at 10:41:27 pm

Try using ray-traced shadows; they will be sensitive to the transparency of your mapped planes.

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Jul 1, 2013 at 12:43:29 am

Thank you, Steve.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Jun 28, 2013 at 7:11:58 pm

Hello Lillian, I think you might be experiencing some alpha issues...check this out to see if it helps...

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Jul 1, 2013 at 12:42:47 am

Perfect, Stu. You're always so halpful.

I just did one of your other tutorials today (objects bobbing in an ocean - so fun). Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]