FORUMS: list search recent posts

UV Editor Question: Pinning

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Hybiak
UV Editor Question: Pinning
on Jun 5, 2013 at 11:50:55 pm

Hi everybody, I have a couple questions related to the UV Editor.

1) When working on my UVs, I'm trying to find a way to "pin" the UVs selected so I can select a chunk of my mesh's UV layout, and then tweak the points manually. I have it set to view selected only. Currently, when I try and click on specific points, it causes the rest of my selection to disappear: makes sense, but not very functional when I'm trying to work on a specific section and make the whole thing flow.

Also, I can't just have all UVs showing, since many parts overlap (it's a wood structure, so I don't care if there are certain bits of the wood texture that repeat elsewhere). I can't exactly work with much precision when I'm looking at a rat's nest of point and lines in the UV editor: hence, why I'm interested in showing only chunks at a time while working. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2) I've attempted the whole "Isolate Select > View Set" thing, but it doesn't seem to act right. I'm attaching a screenshot of what happens. I'll also attach a screen shot of the whole UV layout, so you can understand the total chaos I would have to dig through when trying to just view all UVs simultaneously.

Thanks for your help everybody. =)

- Dan

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: UV Editor Question: Pinning
on Jun 14, 2013 at 1:51:04 pm

If you don't care whether or not your UVs overlap, you could maybe try moving them all off the 0-1 grid, and working on them separately. The texture will (depending on your placement node settings) repeat beyond the bounds of that region, so there's no reason why you can't have one piece sitting in the 0-1 U space, the second piece sitting in the 1-2 space, the third in 2-3, and so on. You'll end up with all the pieces slotted into different 'blocks' of the UV grid next to each other.

You could achieve the same result by increasing the number of repetitions of the texture pattern in U and V, and shrinking your UV shells to fit into the smaller copies of the texture. There's no need to have them all overlapping when you could just repeat the texture instead.

If for some reason you do want them all overlapping in the 0-1 space, what I would do is: move all the shells away, say, to the left, then bring one shell in to the 0-1 space, adjust it until you're happy with it, then use a MEL command to move that shell exactly 1 unit to the right, freeing up the 0-1 space for use again. Repeat with the other pieces until all the pieces are properly adjusted but overlapping each other one unit to the right of the 0-1 space. Finally, select all the pieces together and use another MEL command to move them back to the left by exactly one unit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]