FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it possible to attach an animated object to a motion curve?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucinda Gabriel
Is it possible to attach an animated object to a motion curve?
on May 18, 2013 at 1:49:27 pm

Hello, I'm new to CreativeCow and to Maya.
I'm currently working on my FMP for college, but sadly our 3D lecturer quit before christmas, so I have no one available that I can ask directly.

I'm trying to attach an animated ball (it's floating up and down on infinity?) to a motion path so it'll continue to bob up and down as it follows along. I tried attaching it via a locator, but it made the balls translate go all wacky.

Is what I'm trying to do even possible?
Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
Re: Is it possible to attach an animated object to a motion curve?
on May 20, 2013 at 7:30:54 pm

That's strange. I gave it a shot and ended up using exactly the method you described and it worked just fine!

Here's what I did:

1) Created a random spline, poly sphere and a locator. Deleted history, just in case it mattered.
2) Made the sphere bounce up and down and made it loop.
3) Parented the sphere to the locator.
4) Selected the locator, shift+selected the spline and attached it to the motion path. Worked like a charm.

Here's my Maya file, maybe it's of some use: http://f1.creativecow.net/file/6032/6032_ballalongmotionpath.mb.zip

Good luck,

Ben van H.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

Lucinda Gabriel
Re: Is it possible to attach an animated object to a motion curve?
on May 20, 2013 at 9:38:08 pm

Hello, Ben.
I eventually got it to work.
In the end I had to attach a locator to the ball AND one to the curve then for excess animation had to keyframe the blend. Maybe I did something wrong, I don't know.
But thankfully I got it working in the end.

I had a look at your file, I'm not sure why yours works properly and why mine doesn't :( I think it must be testing me, it keeps coming up with NUMEROUS problems, very trying on my patience. But thankfully, almost done with the animation.

Except I'm having to animate backwards now, it's really hard!

:) Thanks for your time!

Lucinda-

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]