FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving nCloth with Model

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Spencer MacPherson
Moving nCloth with Model
on Apr 3, 2013 at 3:09:47 am

Hi,

I'm working on a nCloth vest for my character but I'm having some problems keeping the vest with the rest of the body.

Whenever I try moving my character using a master move control, the vest stays behind. How would I be able to parent the vest or constrain the vest so that it moves with the rest of the body when I move it?

The top of my vest has a component to component constraint to the top of the body. This constrains it for animation.

Here are some images of my problem:

Thanks,
S.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: Moving nCloth with Model
on Apr 3, 2013 at 4:53:39 am

I created this tutorial which covers how to constrain nCloth to a model...Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Spencer MacPherson
on Apr 3, 2013 at 7:22:44 am

Hi Stuart,

I watched your tutorial, but it didn't help me out. With the ball example, you showed how to constrain the nCloth to the ball using the transform constraint. This works for animation, and I had already set it up similarly with a component to component constraint.

My problem is when I try to move the model from the origin (0,0,0) to another position using a master move control, the vest get's left behind. This is depicted in the third image. Also, when I move the spine joints, the vest doesn't move as well, such as the second image.

I did try to skin the vest to one of my spine joints which did keep the vest with the body and rotate with the joints, but the gravity seemed to rotate with the vest. So instead of gravity pointing straight down, it would be rotated 45 degrees, or however much the vest was rotated.

Any other help is appreciated.

Thanks,
S.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Apr 3, 2013 at 5:20:48 pm

Yes, I get what you are saying...at the moment I don't have any more suggestions...Keep troubleshooting, Maya loves troubleshooters!

Return to posts index

Tim Wong
on Apr 3, 2013 at 9:32:27 pm

If I understand the problem correctly, there are 2 ways to solve it

1-Increase your time range and then under nSolver, turn on Interactive Playback. This allows you to move your 'hero' character and have simulation update interactively. Once your nCloth gets into a position you are satisfied with, set your initial state (nSolver>Initial State>Set From Current)

or

2-Animate your 'hero' character over a certain number of frames from (0, 0, 0) to your end position (ie over 10frames or so). The nCloth should follow it. Once the simulation comes to rest, set your initial state. Delete you keyframes from you character.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Spencer MacPherson
on Apr 3, 2013 at 10:53:17 pm

Hi Tim,

Alright, thanks for the help, I'll try these. It's a shame that there's no easy solution of just moving it.

Stuart, thanks for the help as well.

S.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Apr 9, 2013 at 3:00:32 pm

There is an easy fix for this.

Just parent (or parent-constrain) the original vest object (not the nCloth node, but the transform that existed before you turned it into a cloth object) under the node you want it to follow.

Return to posts index

Alexander Tavener
on Apr 20, 2015 at 3:40:57 pm

Yes, Steve's method does work HOWEVER you must ensure that your nucleus node starts on the frame that you want it to, otherwise the nCloth will still screw up.

1. Parent/Point Constraint your joint or control curve to the ncloth transform node (mesh)
2. Change Nucleus node start frame to where you need the ncloth to start evaluating after you have moved the master control.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]