FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bridge tool/Viewport Mayhem (*DETAILED SCREENCAPS INCLUDED*)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Hybiak
Bridge tool/Viewport Mayhem (*DETAILED SCREENCAPS INCLUDED*)
on Mar 24, 2013 at 11:43:58 pm

Hey there,

I'm trying to believe that there is a REASON for things happening in Maya 99% of the time. I've been able to, for the most part, understand most issues thrown at me, and consequently resolve them (and learn from it in the process).

But I've hit a wall on this one when trying to bridge.

In the area shown in the images, there are no duplicate verts, or edges, or whatever. All normals seem to be correct. I just NEED TO KNOW WHY THIS HAPPENS, it's driving me crazy!

Here's how it goes:

(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

(Finally)

I need to know why this is happening. I'd be willing to pay, send baked goods to, whatever, to the person who can help my dilemma. The behavior is just so erratic. I wanna know why this happens (and how to fix it, ideally) so I can avoid or fix this kind of thing in the future.

THANK YOU TO THE ENTIRE CREATIVE COW COMMUNITY!! =D

- Dan

Return to posts index

Daniel Hybiak
Updated question: would love to better understand why this face messed up my bridge operation =D
on Mar 25, 2013 at 2:46:51 am

So I've realized a trend: I find a problem, I look everywhere on google for a solution, then I decide to post on Creative Cow. A few hours pass, maybe a day, and I reopen the project, and then try something purely on a whim, something that makes no real sense. And sure enough, I solve my problem!

In this instance, the issue was this face:

Once deleted, bridge tool worked fine.

So I guess the question has changed a little to anybody reading this:

Why did that face cause bridge tool to fail?

I would love to better understand how these things work. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated. Is it something with normals, I suppose? Even if it was, I don't quite understand how that affect the bridge operation for those two edges.

**Thanks again to the CreativeCow community for simply EXISTING, because between directly helpful and wonderful posts made by the amazing users, or life's strange quirk that leads me to a solution after I post about it, I would ultimately be lost without you guys. Thank you again!**

:D

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Updated question: would love to better understand why this face messed up my bridge operation =D
on Mar 25, 2013 at 6:52:36 pm

Hi, Daniel.

At first I was going to suggest that this problem arises because of the 'non-manifold' geometry you have there; three different faces share a vertical edge on the front and back of your model.

However, a little playing around in Maya suggests that that's not the full extent of the problem; I can create a similar shape where Bridge works successfully even with the same pattern of faces.

I think it has something to do with that extra face confusing Maya as to whether or not your two edges count as being part of the same ring or not. I think for whatever reason Maya thinks you've got two edges selected from the same ring, and it's trying to find another one to bridge to.

Did you see my earlier reply to your post? I hope you know you can use Bridge on entire rings of edges; you don't have to go one pair at a time.

Good luck, and thanks for posting the solution to the problem you were having.

Return to posts index

Daniel Hybiak
Re: Updated question: would love to better understand why this face messed up my bridge operation =D
on Mar 25, 2013 at 7:24:11 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for looking into the issue. =)

If perhaps the issue is Maya getting confused about whether two edges count as being part of a ring or not, is there some method (or combination or methods) to help determine if that's the case? I don't even mind diving into the node editor or MEL or whatever, I'm determined to understand this software inside and out so I can learn from mistakes or identify/fix them when they happen.

Also, any insight as to why it would cause my viewport to flip out? lol.

Thank you again Steve.

- Dan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]