FORUMS: list search recent posts

extrude arrow tool moves entire object

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre Le Coz
extrude arrow tool moves entire object
on Mar 9, 2013 at 12:57:38 pm

Hi everyone! :)

I'm having some trouble in maya 2013 when extruding. let's say i select a surface on say a simple cube, firstly the edges and vertexs turn yellow for some reason. And then when i go to the extrude tool and extrude the surface face the axis blue green and red arrows come up which is great coz when i click them the face moves normally with the others. But when i hit W to just move it, the whole object moves as if im not in extrude mode anymore. This also happens when i try rotating a selected face the whole object rotates :s

Any help would be fantastic and much appreciated thank you

andre le coz :)

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: extrude arrow tool moves entire object
on Mar 11, 2013 at 9:32:14 pm

It sounds like you have Soft Selection turned on. When you select a component, such as a face, Soft Selection will extend your selection to surrounding faces as well--that's the yellow highlighting you see. Depending on the settings, this can mean you are effectively editing the whole object. Press the 'b' key or access your Selection Tool's options window to deactivate Soft Select, and things should work better.

Return to posts index

Andre Le Coz
on Mar 17, 2013 at 8:20:03 am

Dear Steve sorry about the late reply

Thank you very much for your help! Un-ticking the soft selection finally got rid of the yellow highlighting :)
However, the extrude tool still is causing me problems :/ When i select a face and use the extrude tool the face extrudes already before i even use the arrow to move it. i don't know if this is just a new way the extrude tool functions in maya 2013 or if its something i can correct so i can just select a face and then move the face out myself. Even so when i press G to extrude a second time the selected face twists up in a screwed manner so i don't think its meant to be like this.

Thanks again for your help :)

Andre Le Coz

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Mar 19, 2013 at 10:14:54 pm

It sounds like you've used the tool and left some settings stored in it which Maya is using by default now. Try clicking on the options box for the tool in the menu. This should give you an options window where you can specify local and global transformations for the extrude, along with other settings like number of divisions, offset, etc. Zero all of these (or use the 'Reset' command from the top left of the window) and that should restore the behaviour.

Also note that, assuming you have construction history turned on, when you use this tool it will create a node with attributes that you can select and edit interactively. So you can get rid of that initial extrusion/rotation if you wish--just check your Channel Box or Attribute Editor.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]