FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adjusting Input params for a duplicated object?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Chard
Adjusting Input params for a duplicated object?
on Mar 8, 2013 at 8:22:55 pm

It seems that if you Duplicate an object, the parameters for the Inputs are not available.

I assume that is so it can act like some sort of "active clone".

My question is how can one make a Duplicate a free-standing independent shape of its own so one can manipulate it freely?

Tnx.

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Adjusting Input params for a duplicated object?
on Mar 8, 2013 at 8:51:31 pm

Maya has several options for duplicating. I think what you're looking for can be found under 'Duplicate Special' in the Edit menu. Click the checkbox marked 'Duplicate input graph' and all the upstream history nodes will also be duplicated.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:46:42 pm

If I take your meaning (NOOB here): Dup Special creates a new, independent Shape, while Duplicate makes some sort of instance?

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Mar 11, 2013 at 9:24:36 pm

Not quite. Regular Duplicate will create a copy of the selected node. If that node is a transform, a separate copy of its shape will also be created. However, any history nodes feeding into that shape will NOT be duplicated--only the final result.

Duplicate Special has several different options that can be used to accomplish different things. You can use it to create instances (i.e. multiple transforms which all share the same Shape), or, in this case, you can use it to duplicate not just the final object but also its entire history.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]